Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have heard chainstay length can affect how sensitive the rear suspension feels... Now when I think about it, if your bottom bracket is further forwards from the back wheel this would mean that for a given size bump the bb won't rise as high on a hardtail frame when going over the bump, it effectively will be moving up slower but with more torque, if we imagine the whole bike from front wheel to back wheel as a lever. Now obviously full suspension designs are a bit different as the bb drops on compression relative to the back wheel, and torque transfer is all determined by the suspension kinematics. Also weight bias towards the rear is less so on a longer chainstay bike. So how much truth is there to this claim, is it dependent on the ratio percentage between front and rear weight bias, or is it the actual measurements that matter as in a longer overall bike with long front centre and long chainstays feels better over bumps...for example I imagine a 3 meter long bike would feel better over bumps than a 1 meter long bike obviously provided the bb didn't touch the ground.

I see suspension setup discussed a lot but never much about how geometry plays it's role in the feel of the suspension so I'm interested in peoples experience or thoughts on this.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.