Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

chainstay guard question for yogreg or anyone

2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Acadian 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for a bulletproof chain stay guard. I have some pretty deep nicks which are closer to the dwl past the vertical and some smaller ones at the other end near the derailleur. MK3.

Here is a picture of what I would like or similar. Hope you don't mind yogreg!
A one piece lizard skin probably wouldn't work due to the vertical.

Thinking something like what is shown in the link below might also work but doesn't say what type material it is made of or what the coverage length is. It could just be a phone cord for all I know.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=9674&category=1616

Happy Trails!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
1) get a dead tube and some electrical tape (and/or zip ties), 2) cut a strip frome said tube to desired length, 3) wrap chainstay with cut tube (it doesn't matter which end you start from), 4) secure new chainstay wrap with electrical tape (and/or zip ties), 5) ride and enjoy the muffling effect of vulcanized rubber, 6) drink lotsa beer to celebrate. Seriously the tube wrap is the easiest and best solution.

#7 ·
This is what I did:
1) Got a chainstay protector (Lizard Skin, Specialized, or whatever)
2) Cut it to length and mounted it on the chainstay
3) Wrapped it tightly with eclectic tape
4) Beautified it with a dw*link sticker

You could also use some of that wire wrap from Radio Shack – many do that on their DH bikes.

#8 ·
broncbuster said:
Looking for a bulletproof chain stay guard. I have some pretty deep nicks which are closer to the dwl past the vertical and some smaller ones at the other end near the derailleur. MK3.

Here is a picture of what I would like or similar. Hope you don't mind yogreg!
A one piece lizard skin probably wouldn't work due to the vertical.

Thinking something like what is shown in the link below might also work but doesn't say what type material it is made of or what the coverage length is. It could just be a phone cord for all I know.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=9674&category=1616

Happy Trails!
No worries I don't mind.
I just cut a length of old tube and carefully wrapped it along the chainstay.The key is to overlap each succesive pass. Fastened the end with electrical tape and a zip tie.

#12 ·
Here's the deal... Get one 'Lizard Skin' in a color that fits. Then, buy another one in just as fitting a color. Measure, and snip half through where the upright is (lets the upright peek through), feather the edges by way of flame, and double up the lil' bastards. It's quiet as a flying pyramid. Did I mention I'm riding a Warrior HT?

#14 ·
I have been using plumbing pipe repair tape from Home Depot (sorry,no link) It is found in the plumbing section of any Home Depot or Lowes. It is a black, 1" wide & about the thickness of a road innertube. The stuff wraps real easy, conforms to any shape & sticks to itself without unwrapping (use it on my Sunday & MK) No zip ties or adhesive needed. I wrap 2 layers on the Sunday & only 1 on the MK. So far I've riddin about 200 total miles on the trail bike without any problems!

Good luck!

Stu

#15 ·
I had a Lizard Skin protector floating around that didn't fit my hardtail so decided to use that on my 7Point. The trick though, is turning it inside out so the cheese-tastic Lizard Skin logo (swanky in 1994 but not in 2006) is nicely hidden from my own fashion police eyes. Zip tied the ends and a couple in the middle and haven't looked back since.

On the uprights I've used ClearBra adhesive plastic material to protect from scratches by the chain. Worked well so far. I've actually used the ClearBra all over the bike with great success. The whole downtube is covered along the bottom, the BB shell, the lower knuckle on the swingarm, and the gussets on the headtube have all received the treatment. Keeps cable rub away and also great for minimizing shuttle damage since we always throw our bikes over the tailgate of whatever pick-up is handy.

#19 ·
Acadian said:
This is what I did:
1) Got a chainstay protector (Lizard Skin, Specialized, or whatever)
2) Cut it to length and mounted it on the chainstay
3) Wrapped it tightly with eclectic tape
4) Beautified it with a dw*link sticker

You could also use some of that wire wrap from Radio Shack - many do that on their DH bikes.
Used the Radio Shack wire wrap secured at both ends with electrical tape.

Where did you get the dw-link sticker?

IH online store is no worky.

Attachments

#21 ·
broncbuster said:
What rear derailleur are you using?
Looks like compact design for self protection or is that just the pic?
Is it compatible with X9 trigger shift?
looks to be X0 long-cage in low cog small chain-ring. That answers the compatibility question.

different question; what is the Maxxis tire (labeled prototype) in the background? Just curious.

#22 ·
EvilBkr said:
looks to be X0 long-cage in low cog small chain-ring. That answers the compatibility question.

different question; what is the Maxxis tire (labeled prototype) in the background? Just curious.
it's a Med Cage X.0 Carbon in low cog/small chaing-ring - I like to store my bike like that when I'm not riding.

HAHAH...good eye about the Maxxis tire. Those are on my 7Point. They were proto 3C tires from last year - before they became available to the public. But the ones I have are close to single ply (e.g. the side walls are a bit thinner than DH tires but a bit thicker than the single ply ones)

#23 ·
Acadian said:
it's a Med Cage X.0 Carbon in low cog/small chaing-ring - I like to store my bike like that when I'm not riding.

HAHAH...good eye about the Maxxis tire. Those are on my 7Point. They were proto 3C tires from last year - before they became available to the public. But the ones I have are close to single ply (e.g. the side walls are a bit thinner than DH tires but a bit thicker than the single ply ones)
I *think* they're dual ply but without the butyl casing. about .2lbs lighter than the normal SRY dh tires, but still very flat-resistant. :thumbsup:

(on a similar note the production 3C tires are heavier than their SRY counterparts... :mad: )

#24 ·
dante said:
I *think* they're dual ply but without the butyl casing. about .2lbs lighter than the normal SRY dh tires, but still very flat-resistant. :thumbsup:

(on a similar note the production 3C tires are heavier than their SRY counterparts... :mad: )
yup yup...that's them!

yeah I know..I was at my shop last week and they had just received some new 3C tires...and indeed they were heavier than the same tires in SRY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.