Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently bought a bike off an auction site that was described as having wear from normal use.

Much to my horror I found evidence of pretty bad chain suck, and another patch of wear from unknown origin. It's this latter patch that concerns me. It seems to go a fair distance through the aluminium.

Is this frame toast?

Many thanks for any opinions you may have,

Harry

b.jpg
a.jpg
c.jpg

·
since 4/10/2009
31,422 Posts
I would demand a refund from the seller. That is most certainly NOT "wear from normal use". I'm pretty sure that frame is f0cked. The bb shell is an absolute mess. The chainsuck looks awful, but mostly doesn't look deep enough to compromise much. The inside of the chainstay looks like tire rub, and that looks deep enough to be a problem.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The hell happened to that bb shell?

Yeah I'd be more worried about the tire rub on the inside, that is pretty deep. You would have noticed that rubbing... There is no situation I can see here where they didn't know it happened

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hell happened to that bb shell?
Not sure! It doesn't look like it was caused by the chain suck to me - more like someone's crunched it up using the wrong tool? No idea... A previous owner has also broken the valve on the suspension, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some maintenance error...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
If it was eBay it is as easy as filing a claim and stating the item was not as described. Clearly they failed to provide pictures of that damage or describe it. You will be covered.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it was eBay it is as easy as filing a claim and stating the item was not as described. Clearly they failed to provide pictures of that damage or describe it. You will be covered.
Thanks blkangel

It was actually from a bike shop (selling thru eBay) but they were only 1.5hrs drive away so I went and picked it up. I complained and they said to "drop it off" and their mechanics would look at it, and if I'm not happy, give me a refund.

So unless their mechanics are going to replace the frame, I'll settle for nothing less than a refund...

·
since 4/10/2009
31,422 Posts
Thanks blkangel

It was actually from a bike shop (selling thru eBay) but they were only 1.5hrs drive away so I went and picked it up. I complained and they said to "drop it off" and their mechanics would look at it, and if I'm not happy, give me a refund.

So unless their mechanics are going to replace the frame, I'll settle for nothing less than a refund...
I'd still file through ebay. reports like that go on their seller's record. you don't properly document stuff like that (because you know if you do, it'll affect the sale price), you need to be taught a lesson.

It's probably a bike that a customer dropped off for service and just left behind, and the shop is trying to recoup their costs on it. Which are probably higher than the bike is worth. I've seen that countless times.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
The scratches on the outside of the stay I would ride. The gouge on the inside is a failure waiting to happen. Frame is scrap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The scratches on the outside of the stay I would ride. The gouge on the inside is a failure waiting to happen. Frame is scrap.
Agreed. I noticed the scratches on the outside but, although I wasn't happy, I could tolerate them - it wasn't til I got home I noticed the gouge! Scary looking thing

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,184 Posts
chain suck
tire wear

junk

unsafe

refund if possible

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my refund and also made sure to return it via eBay as "not as described".
Thanks for the advice, good people of mtbr!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One final advice request please!

I found another one which has this much damage. It was covered by a protector but I asked the seller to remove to have a look at it.

I imagine this scratch was done then the protector was put on which prevented further damage.

I think this will be absolutely fine, assuming it's re-covered by a protector. 111.jpg

Would you agree?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,184 Posts
One final advice request please!

I found another one which has this much damage. It was covered by a protector but I asked the seller to remove to have a look at it.

I imagine this scratch was done then the protector was put on which prevented further damage.

I think this will be absolutely fine, assuming it's re-covered by a protector. View attachment 1247151

Would you agree?
NO

those scrapes turn into cracks if you ride a lot
which turn into broken bike

it may last it may not. how much do you plan on riding ? a ton ? then no

that damage is unacceptable to me. ymmv

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Personally i think that looks like a paint chip. I have had plenty of nicked up chainstays with zero issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NO

those scrapes turn into cracks if you ride a lot
which turn into broken bike

it may last it may not. how much do you plan on riding ? a ton ? then no

that damage is unacceptable to me. ymmv
I'm a beginner! Recent convert. Spent the day on trails with a hired Orange Crush and loved it. Realistically due to heavy work commitments I'm not going to ride loads... probably 10-20 miles a week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Personally i think that looks like a paint chip. I have had plenty of nicked up chainstays with zero issues.
Hard to tell from that angle, is that the paint that's raised?
I think it's taken the paint off and will have scratched the metal a little - I imagine it's like 3 out of the 500 scratches that caused the damage in the first picture I posted of the other bike...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts