Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and I only found a couple of peps who are running the Sram PC991. Can anyone recommend against using this chain for SS use? In terms of strength, I use this on my geared bike and typically mash on it like a SS so I can't see why I shouldn't use it for my dedicated SS. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
536 Posts
1-bar said:
I did a search and I only found a couple of peps who are running the Sram PC991. Can anyone recommend against using this chain for SS use? In terms of strength, I use this on my geared bike and typically mash on it like a SS so I can't see why I shouldn't use it for my dedicated SS. Thanks for any input.
Great chain. But also massive overkill for an SS. There's no reason (other than being a weight weenie, and there's nothing wrong with that) to run a high-end 9spd chain on an SS. Buy a decent 8speed or BMX chain for 1/4 the price.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think thecrazyfinn said it best...
"here's no reason (other than being a weight weenie, and there's nothing wrong with that) to run a high-end 9spd chain on an SS. Buy a decent 8speed or BMX chain for 1/4 the price."

Also the PC-1 is a notoriously BAD chain - I've snapped 2 and seen LOTS of broken chains on and off the trail... I have had excellent durability with 8 speed chains. An 8-speed chain seems to be stronger and way more reliable than the PC-1, and a bit more - but not quite as - spendy as a 9-speed chain...

I've been using a SRAM PC-58 for a while... they're solid!
S

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I do get tired of saying this, but here it goes:

If you have a good chainline, the narrower chains work better as they do not have as much side to side play on the cog/ring thus bind less and last longer. When you are cranking up a hill, you have a little frame flex, and your chain will want to creep a little. I've gotton my money's worth out of 9 speed chains lasting longer, and have been trying a Sram 10 speed to see how it does. 3.5 months and so far so good.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey guys, thanks for all of your replies. the pc991 hollow pin is done deal for me now.

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
1speed said:
KMC bmx chain, they last forever. I fully agree that the PC-1 is total crap
agreed. the "Z" chain in either the red or blue box(don't know what the dif is really, which ever's in stock i'll take it) at $8.99 is the best way to go. i think i've only had to replace the chain a couple times in the past 8 years of ss'ing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use SRAM 8 speed chains with no fuss (PC 58 or 58).
They are really cheap, strong, use a Powerlink and do not rust.
Most of French singlespeeders do indeed.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
PC-1, good and bad...

There are two versions of the PC-1. The nickle plated version is a great chain that I've been using for about 5 years and goes for about $18. The non-nickle plated for about $9 is junk.

Folks spout all the time about the PC-1 and rarely mention which version they speak of.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah I have the nickle PC-1 and have been happy all season........

So far......:skep:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts