Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
XCdude
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking the sram 99 hollow or the xtr stuff, which one ie better. I had the sram that came with my bike and it was used and abused for thousands of miles last year and still there so I'm inclined to use it again. The sucka is 32.00 dolla. :confused:

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
SRAM vote here

moab63 said:
I was checking the sram 99 hollow or the xtr stuff, which one ie better. I had the sram that came with my bike and it was used and abused for thousands of miles last year and still there so I'm inclined to use it again. The sucka is 32.00 dolla. :confused:
Have been using SRAM chains for a long time, currently have a 89 on my son's bike, 99 on my singlespeed and a 99 Hollowpin on my VT; what I like about them is the Power Link. The basic difference between the regular 99 and the hollowpin is weight, the pins are hollow. Can't tell if that makes the chain weak but can tell you that after 1 year of regular use the thing has never broken.

If weight is not an issue get the regular 99 and save some $$$ for an extra power link just to be on the safe side.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
It seems SRAM chain is a clear winner for me. I only use the SRAM/Sachs chain.

I have used Dura Ace, XT and Deore level chain and had issues with breakage's etc.

Also with SRAM chain you get that handy powerlink making cleaning chain or taking the chain off too easy!

·
[paste title here]
515 Posts
Yep I agree!

I had a Shimano chain on my bike and it always caused problems for me.Eventually I went and got a Sram PC-99. Great chain so far. With the power-link I can take the chain apart in seconds and clean it thourughly. Most of the other bikes are going to to upgraded with Sram chains.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
moab63 said:
Moab...if you need extras, i've got'em at $25 per pop...yep, PC99hollow's. [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts