Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just busted my knuckles open while taking off the pedals. The threads were stuck, too much torque... Bam! The threads broke, and my knuckles slammed into the teeth. I looked into my pinky for a few seconds before it welled up with blood. Feels like I punched a very hard wall. It's a b!tch typing this out with one hand. :madman:

What's the worst that your chainrings have done to you, in any way?

·
powered by peanut butter.
879 Posts
Sorry you got hurt - make sure to patch that hand up so it doesn't get infected.

The exact same thing happened to me the first time I changed my pedals. The trick, I eventually learned, is to shift the chain onto the largest ring before you remove the pedals. Though you still might smack the chainring with your hand, the teeth won't be able to puncture your skin. I'll also drape some rags or an old tube over the ring as well.

Oh, and you might know this already, but making sure to grease the pedal threads before installing them helps to prevent having stuck pedals in the first place, and some WD-40 or PB Blaster can help loosen up stuck threads.

Weirdest chainring injury I've sustained: while out riding one day, I smacked my pedal on a log. My foot popped loose from the pedal and somehow got snagged under the chainring, which jabbed a hole straight through my shoe and into the side of my foot. Stung like heck, but I still finished my ride.

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
Putting anti-seize should go on the peddles first, then use a allen wrench from behind on a socket if you have one.. ouch isnt' good, you can use a wrench on a allen to get better leverage too... good luck

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heartland said:
Sorry you got hurt - make sure to patch that hand up so it doesn't get infected.

The exact same thing happened to me the first time I changed my pedals. The trick, I eventually learned, is to shift the chain onto the largest ring before you remove the pedals. Though you still might smack the chainring with your hand, the teeth won't be able to puncture your skin. I'll also drape some rags or an old tube over the ring as well.

Oh, and you might know this already, but making sure to grease the pedal threads before installing them helps to prevent having stuck pedals in the first place, and some WD-40 or PB Blaster can help loosen up stuck threads.

Weirdest chainring injury I've sustained: while out riding one day, I smacked my pedal on a log. My foot popped loose from the pedal and somehow got snagged under the chainring, which jabbed a hole straight through my shoe and into the side of my foot. Stung like heck, but I still finished my ride.
Typical me, I decided to patch it up with gauze and electrical tape.... Normally my pedals are fine, I switch them out between my road bike and my mountain bike all the time. But I haven't been riding for a while, so the threads (yes, they were greased) just got a bit stuck. I was considering hitting it with WD-40 or the like, but obviously I didn't.

I guess I got lucky in a way, the teeth happened to knick me right where there's no feeling in the knuckle. There's still no pain in the actual puncture sites, but my finger hurts to move like no other. I'll think about making a visit to the doctor, I guess. It's better to be safe than sorry, I guess.

(FWIW, I'd already taken the chain off for some heavy cleaning, and I run converted singlespeed anyways. Can't take the extra rings off because all three are riveted together.)

·
Registered
61 Posts
The worst chainring injury I had was while pedaling through an intersection on my SS gt avalanche. I put torque on the pedals and popped one of the chainring bolts off causing my shin to smash into the chainring leaving a nice gash in my shin.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
p_h said:
The worst chainring injury I had was while pedaling through an intersection on my SS gt avalanche. I put torque on the pedals and popped one of the chainring bolts off causing my shin to smash into the chainring leaving a nice gash in my shin.
Nice, nice :thumbsup: Like cheesegrater status or knife stabbing status?

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
The Park Tools PW-4 pedal wrench is your friend. The great thing about it is the angled slots always allow you to position the wrench so that you're pulling away from the chainrings so you don't so you don't bash your hand into the teeth when the pedal breaks loose. This tool saved me from many potential injuries back when I was a mechanic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
erik1245 said:
Nice, nice :thumbsup: Like cheesegrater status or knife stabbing status?
Like dull knife stabbing status haha, very similar to the post below yours with the blood and the shins, though mine was only one gash. I like to tell myself that crash was a result of me being too powerful for the bike...

·
Registered
143 Posts
This was a buddy of mine, not me...fortunately. I just had to be the surgeon/doctor. In short, we were just biking around town/goofing around in shorts. No serious riding so we weren't concerned about anything. Well his foot slid off the pedal and the pedals metal cleats down his shin. He said, "dude I think I just got myself pretty bad." I said, "It's probably not as bad as you think, I've done that before." But I had done it in pants... So we rode to where we could see his leg, and that's what we found.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
just this morning (before my coffee) i was spinning my wheel really fast and wiping the chain as it spun. My towel hooked the half link and my index finger got caught between the chain and the cog a the wheel spun. And this is on a single speed so there is no chain slack to save my finger!!!! It ripped off half my nail and bled for 2 hours.

Now im pissed because i cant lift weights or ride my bike or anything till it stops throbbing.

I was always told not to do this on motorcycles but i just diddnt think about it on my road bike...

Sheepo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.