·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gear Bicycle drivetrain part Crankset Machine Iron

Metal Auto part Steel Carbon Synthetic rubber

Aprox 525miles and counting....

Starting to see signs of RIDING FUN!!!
Chain Suck has some BB damage marks too...

Do you all just swap rings or buy new crankset w/rings?

I may get a "higher end" crankset this winter and then from there just swap rings as needed.
Looks like 8speed is becoming less popular as I don't see XT level cassetts in 8spd for sale(well my brief look up online did not see any)
Should I focus on going 3x10 this winter just beacuse of the way the sport is headed with "higher end" parts availbility?

·
Registered
18,023 Posts
Those rings don't look worn to me, is that the original chain? If so you might want to check the wear on that. I would probably attribute the chain suck to a chainring/chain combo that just don't like each other, not chainring wear. As a general rule, if you replace chains before they're too far gone you can usually go through 2 or 3 chains before needing a new cassette, and maybe up to 4 chains before needing a front ring, depending of course on many different factors.

As far as 10 speed- I went that way when needing a new drivetrain because of availability and good deals. You would have to change shift levers too though.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool JBW thanks!
Yeah my drive train is all stock 2013 stuff 3x8. I did measure the chain a few weeks back, i should check again thanks.. Yesterday I had my worst chain suck ever and the rear cog slipped cogs or changed gear with out shifter input. SO it's defenity slipping more. My riding is going up too so being that I'm going faster, hitting it a little harder...yeah this stock stuff has got to go. I just need to make it last until summer is done..my winter build plan to excite me for next years riding season!! :)
Thanks for your time!
Burt

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I've seen chains damaged from dropped chains and chain suck. It may ride good as new with a new chain, fresh cables, and a good tune - all inexpensive.

Major upgrades work out in some instances, but I wouldn't recommend it for most people. With a little effort you can likely find a whole better bike on cl for little more than the upgrade costs. You will get better components all around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.