Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an odd one: Have a 24-inch cruiser I want to occssly single-track...
has 180mm cranks and a 16-tooth rear. I'm an adult, not a kid -- though I will be just clowning around with the thing, as I have a proper MTB for most days -- and am trying to figure out the right chain ring size.
Any thoughts?

And please, no lectures about the silliness of the project, I already know it is, just having a lark with the bike I jump around the neighborhood.
It's really, really light (last year of the Specialized Hemi) set up with front brakes too, not just rear and I'm putting some proper 24 Kenda MTB tires (albeit narrowish, at 1.95) on a second set of rims for when not doing what its intended for.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Take you normal bike out on the trail and find the gear that feels like what you want. Count the teeth on the chainring and cog you are using. To find the size of the chainring for the 24" bike use this formula:

Chainring of 24" Bike = (16 * 26 * Chainring of 26" Bike)/(24 * Cog of 26" Bike)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.