Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is a 24-inch cruiser I want to occssly single-track...
has 180mm cranks and a 16-tooth rear. I'm an adult, not a kid -- though I will be just clowning around with the thing, as I have a proper MTB for most days -- and am trying to figure out the right chain ring size.
Any thoughts?

Of course am not deeply concerned with downhill speed, mainly being able to spin on level and actually get up hills.
And please, no lectures about the silliness of the project, I already know it is, just having a lark with the bike I jump around the neighborhood.
It's really, really light (last year of the Specialized Hemi) set up with front brakes too, not just rear and I'm putting some proper 24 Kenda MTB tires (albeit narrowish, at 1.95, since not much else is available in 24) on a second set of rims for when not doing what its intended for. but am serious about making the project work....

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
That's too subjective of a question. But I'll give it a try - I'd start with either a 36 or 38. I think the actual rim diameter on a 24" is 520 vs 559 for a 26" rim. So your gearing is going to be about 93% that of a 26er with the same tire profile. A 36 would be about the same as running a 33 on a 26er, which may be a little low for street use but would be good for climbing hills.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thor29 said:
That's too subjective of a question. But I'll give it a try - I'd start with either a 36 or 38. I think the actual rim diameter on a 24" is 520 vs 559 for a 26" rim. So your gearing is going to be about 93% that of a 26er with the same tire profile. A 36 would be about the same as running a 33 on a 26er, which may be a little low for street use but would be good for climbing hills.
Thanks, that sounds about right, on my Ibis the 32 is what seems to get the most use on the trails I ride, think I'll go out and make a bit more scientific study of how much that it, and how the 32 does with, say the two cogs next up in size from the 16....as you say, its subjective ... and a rational person would check the trails and see what works and take at least some of the guesswork out.

Will do photos when i have the tires on it, should be late this week. Otherwise it's just essentially a brand new Pro Hemi with a front brake and a tall seatpost....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.