Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like my chainring is rubbing my frame. Either that or I'm getting chainsuck. There's two scratches and some clear coat missing from the frame in a spot on the chainstay just behind the teeth of the outermost chainring.

Is this the result of chain suck, or do I need to add a spacer to the drive side of my bottom bracket? According to the specifications on the bottom bracket I don't need to use any spacers with a 73mm shell, which is what I have, but I don't want to damage my frame.

20150521_113904.jpg 20150521_114535.jpg

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
looks more like chainsuck to me. Throw some electrical tape across it, and keep an eye out. If you have a ride with no chain suck and it's still good, it was chainsuck.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to make sure your crankarm bolts are tight.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,823 Posts
If it wasn't chain suck, it would be pretty obvious because you could see the rubbing by doing a single revolution of the crank. So it's most likely chain suck. But on the other hand, it's hard to ignore chain suck on your ride, I'm surprised you wouldn't have noticed and looked down.

But anyways, keep that chain lubed and clean too, and watch for shark toothed rings, those rings look about 50% done

1 - 3 of 3 Posts