Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often you should change chainring?
Assuming the wear and tear is higher then the cassette, so once i need new chain i should also change the chainring, or keep and using the one im having till i need new cassette?

·
since 4/10/2009
37,118 Posts
I've NEVER needed to replace chainrings at the same time as the chain. Assuming I'm replacing the chain when I should (fairly high frequency). I usually get 2-3 chains out of a cassette, and a few cassettes out of a chainring. An alu chainring will need more frequent replacement than a steel chainring, so material matters.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tnx for the replies!
Im having Sram Eagle steel chainring (30t) with GX chain and cassette, but in the next week or so i'll change the chain, it just crossed the 0.5% mark on the chain tool. Will order new one the next days (getting XX1 chain instead), so was wondering if i should also get new chainring.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,118 Posts
Tnx for the replies!
Im having Sram Eagle steel chainring (30t) with GX chain and cassette, but in the next week or so i'll change the chain, it just crossed the 0.5% mark on the chain tool. Will order new one the next days (getting XX1 chain instead), so was wondering if i should also get new chainring.
with a steel chainring? hell no.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I've never kept a 12 spd chain long enough to pass the .5% stage. It seems they tend to degrade in shifting some before that, but I may be overly sensitive to that. I do find that XO1 Eagle seems to last longer than GX.
I have had to change out a chainring once on my current bike. I'm using an Absolute Black 30t oval, so I don't imagine that's particularly robust.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the new chain installed, everything works perfect without any adjustments.

About the sticky grease/oil thats on the chain, should i clean it and put fresh oil, to put oil on this sticky thing, or keep it as is?

·
Registered
19,408 Posts
I've NEVER needed to replace chainrings at the same time as the chain. Assuming I'm replacing the chain when I should (fairly high frequency). I usually get 2-3 chains out of a cassette, and a few cassettes out of a chainring. An alu chainring will need more frequent replacement than a steel chainring, so material matters.ede
It's really common to need to change them on 1x drivetrains with n/w chainrings, even steel ones. Not if you're replacing chains regularly but many people let them go a little too long.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My aluminum chainrings become unreliable at retention at around 2k miles. Soon after that they start to make a horrible drivetrain racket as the groves between teeth get wallowed. Especially if you change chains after a well worn chain has dug its grooves into the chainring.

YMMV. I do not have access to a hose, so I don’t wash my bike as often as soon. I’m lubes but not completely degreased and relived as often as I would like. I also grind stuff out hi force at 1000 watts a lot more than the average rider, so I’m not sure if that adds to the wear on my ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Got the new chain installed, everything works perfect without any adjustments.

About the sticky grease/oil thats on the chain, should i clean it and put fresh oil, to put oil on this sticky thing, or keep it as is?
Most including me prefer to get that factory grease off and lube. Although, I will do a ride or two sometimes with the new stuff. It's a dust magnet and not the best…

·
since 4/10/2009
37,118 Posts
It's really common to need to change them on 1x drivetrains with n/w chainrings, even steel ones. Not if you're replacing chains regularly but many people let them go a little too long.
My aluminum chainrings become unreliable at retention at around 2k miles. Soon after that they start to make a horrible drivetrain racket as the groves between teeth get wallowed. Especially if you change chains after a well worn chain has dug its grooves into the chainring.

YMMV. I do not have access to a hose, so I don't wash my bike as often as soon. I'm lubes but not completely degreased and relived as often as I would like. I also grind stuff out hi force at 1000 watts a lot more than the average rider, so I'm not sure if that adds to the wear on my ring.

Well, I mean that's why I specifically mentioned replacing chains at a fairly high frequency. And certainly pushing more watts wears things out faster. And the dirtier, the more wear. My stuff never gets super dirty. I do wipe my drivetrain down fairly regularly to avoid any accumulation. I also don't push that many watts.

I think my comment stands. Sure, you can ride until you roast your stuff. But if you take care of it, you should be able to get plenty of life out of it. Even alu rings. Honestly, I usually change my chainrings out for other reasons before they get too worn.

·
Registered
19,408 Posts
Well, I mean that's why I specifically mentioned replacing chains at a fairly high frequency. And certainly pushing more watts wears things out faster. And the dirtier, the more wear. My stuff never gets super dirty. I do wipe my drivetrain down fairly regularly to avoid any accumulation. I also don't push that many watts.

I think my comment stands. Sure, you can ride until you roast your stuff. But if you take care of it, you should be able to get plenty of life out of it. Even alu rings. Honestly, I usually change my chainrings out for other reasons before they get too worn.
Just saying that even people who take fairly good care of their stuff still need to replace their 1x chainrings relatively frequently, especially aluminum ones. Whenever someone brings a bike in for a chain replacement I always warn them that they might end up needing a new ring too because the" dreaded rumble" is so common.

This didn't seem to be nearly so common before wide range 1x drivetrains and n/w rings.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts

Are you telling me you get 4000 miles out of chainrings?

Sure I have ridden my rings to 4k, but the moment you are in a race. That's when the chain finds it's way off the teeth. If you are racing at the front a dropped chain is the just dumb way to go out and get dropped from the lead group. You pay 80 bucks entry fee to go race money on gas, hotels and don't spend 60 on a fresh chainring with higher chain retention. These are lessons we learn the hard way.

Somehow I never ever drop chains while not racing. Even though I ride at race pace regularly in training.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,118 Posts
Are you telling me you get 4000 miles out of chainrings?
Not at all. I said I change my chainrings before they're worn out for other reasons, usually. I also race very rarely.

Have only a few hundred miles or so on my current ring. Most use on a ring I still have is a steel RF ring at about 1600mi. I still have it, as it looks fine and worked fine last I used it. I'll use it again if I ever have a need for it. I have another alu ring with around 650mi, also, which is still useable.

I also have not been using long-lasting chains in the past. Current 12spd XTR chain is at about 660mi, but previous lower cost 11spd stuff lasted anywhere from 500mi to 1200mi for me. I've definitely not used chains in the past that lasted a couple thousand miles. I could see those wearing chainrings, too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.