Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on chain/bash guards and I think I may be able to just use a 39t chainring.

Running a 2x7 (I know ancient) with a 24/34 in the inner and middle positions, middle is 110bcd.

Using a 7 speed with 8 speed spacers I can run all 14 speeds, although I usually don't use the 24-14, without any chain rub. On top of that my left thumb has a touch of arthritis so I am using a top mounted Suntour thumb shifter that I can basically flip around with my hand instead of a rapid fire.

Shifting is usually not a problem even without ramps but sometimes I make a quick shift and throw the chain. It has been way too much of a pain to get the perfect stop adjustment, so I want to run a middle ring in the old outer position.

Unless I am mission something, I see no issues running a 39t in the outer position instead of a true chain/bash guard.

Is this a correct assumption?

FWIW, a 110 bcd guard is not that common and will probably cost a lot more than a 39t chainring.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the lead. That is a good price as good as a generic chainring. The only concern is how it thins put where the crank arm sits. That great for a bash but I don't know how we'll that section will help to keep the chain on.

John

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My brother said he has a Spot 36t that I can use on one bike. I decided to order another one at almost $40, which is more than 2 of the BBG guards, but it is solid around the entire ring.

I appreciate the advice on not running a chainring. Even if it only keeps from tearing up my leg once it is well worth it.

While I wait for the new one to arrive, I will run a old 42t and franken-guard it by filing off the teeth.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.