Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
inkdwheels said:
wow, nobody knows...
I am uncertain as to whether or not this is a definitive answer, but I have a 34T on mine and it is tight. My guess is that 36T would be the absolute max, but this is speculation at best.

b1umb0y

·
Reformed car junkie
194 Posts
I have a 38T on mine(cant wait to get rid of it though, kinda limits ratio choices below 2:1. Plus i want eno cranks). Anyway, there isnt to much extra room in there, im thinking im just about at the limit.

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
OneGearGuy said:
BB width should be worth considering, too.
i'd go right to the source:
http://www.surlybikes.com/
OGG
BB spindle length shouldn't make a difference as it will modulate chainline when modified, i.e. if your chainline is spot on with the rear hub, your chainring clearance is finite. You can run the chainline slightly off, but this tends to make noise and reduce the life of your drivetrain (often shaves the tooth to a smaller thickness). ;)

b1umb0y

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
OneGearGuy said:
BB width should be worth considering, too.
...and rear wheel/chainline. Say you're running a converted cassette wheel with the cogs all the way outboard and the chainring on the outer position or BB with a long spindle. Surely you can use a bigger chainring than if you were using a SS-specific hub and single FW with a "standard" chainline.

·
Steel and teeth.
577 Posts
roadiegonebad said:
...and rear wheel/chainline. Say you're running a converted cassette wheel with the cogs all the way outboard and the chainring on the outer position or BB with a long spindle. Surely you can use a bigger chainring than if you were using a SS-specific hub and single FW with a "standard" chainline.
That's a good call.

b1umb0y

·
Ghost ride the whip!
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im going to be running it with surly hubs, which means 52mm chainline. Im just trying to get a good gear ratio, because im also gonna put some 1.50 tires on it for my coummute and then bigger tires for actuall trail riding. I guess i could keep a 38t with a 16 freewheel for trail riding and a 14t track cog for fixed commuting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.