Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Mint condition '06 Cannondale Prophet 600
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HATE chainring nuts. Im converting an old bike to singlespeed, and to get the chain rings off i need a tool that I don't have and don't feel like buying, so im using a flathead screwdriver which barely works. I KNOW i won't be able to tighten the nuts when i put it back together. Should i buy a specialty tool, and what exact one would be good for it?
I also have a similar nut holding my derailleur hanger on.
Component companies did this just to annoy me. I'm convinced of this.
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
It's a type of low-profile sex bolt (look it up). Chainring nut wrenches are common at bike shops, and most have at least one for sale (if not a box of them, if they're an old shop).

Should they not be available, you can turn a large flat-head screwdriver into one by marking out a 3-4mm 'nose' in the middle, cutting two 1-1.5mm notches on either side of that, and removing ~1-2mm of height from the blade remaining on the shoulders.

The friction of the chainring nut in the hole is often enough to hold it in place while tightening, though--infrequently--you'll need a wrench to hold it in place. A finger is typically enough 95% of the time.

Impact guns usually loosen the nuts without spinning, and are the preferred tool when available (unless said nuts/bolts are expensive/irreplaceable).

Incidentally, if there is room for them (and there typically isn't on derailleur hangers), you can get double hex or hex/torx chainring nuts/bolts.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
If they're already off and in decent condition you probably won't need a special tool to tighten them, just make sure the threads are clean and greased and they'll usually tighten up just fine.

A park chainring tool is only about $5 btw.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yeah, a chainring nut wrench is one off those tools I use so infrequently, it is annoying to dig up.

To avoid buying a dedicated one, you could buy one of the more accurate go/no go style chain wear checkers with a built in chainring nut wrench for around $15. I picked one up without realizing it had this bonus tool built in:Chain Checker Plus II » Pedro's NA

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oof yeah $5 seems good. Ig the built in chain checker one is good too, thanks guys. I think i'll buy one. Seems cheap enough

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, a chainring nut wrench is one off those tools I use so infrequently, it is annoying to dig up.
if you have a bike that is using a modern cassette, you can buy one of the more accurate chain wear checkers with a built in chainring nut wrench for around $15. I picked one up without realizing it had this bonus tool built in:Chain Checker Plus II » Pedro's NA
Love your Kent Brockman profile pic lol

Reactions: b rock

·
since 4/10/2009
30,901 Posts
I have all kinds of bike tools, and the chainring nut wrench has never made it into my shop.

When I needed such a tool, I always used a flat screwdriver. And then replaced with hex/hex or hex/torx chainring bolts asap.

Not possible with that hanger, though. I hate all the ridiculous proprietary hanger designs out there. I have a bike with a syntace hanger and it's so much easier to deal with (and is also the cheapest one to replace that I've ever had).

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
I have all kinds of bike tools, and the chainring nut wrench has never made it into my shop.

When I needed such a tool, I always used a flat screwdriver. And then replaced with hex/hex or hex/torx chainring bolts asap.

Not possible with that hanger, though. I hate all the ridiculous proprietary hanger designs out there. I have a bike with a syntace hanger and it's so much easier to deal with (and is also the cheapest one to replace that I've ever had).

I seldom need one either but for those occasions when I do they're extremely handy and worth having in the box, especially considering how cheap they are.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very rare that just jamming a fingernail into a groove to give it a bit more friction isn't enough. Last time that wasn't enough I found a old razor blade gave me just enough friction to get the nut undone. View attachment 1909753
That looks good, I think i'll do exactly the same

·
Registered
378 Posts
Cheap tool, but it's still a PIA to get them off even with the tool. I love the way Sram did it on some of their later triples. 6mm on the female side of the nut, 5mm on the other. EZPZ.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
4,899 Posts
Back in ancient times I used a dime - works slightly better than a fingernail, but that razor blade looks ok. Just don't slip.
:eek:

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
490 Posts
Back in ancient times I used a dime - works slightly better than a fingernail, but that razor blade looks ok. Just don't slip.
:eek:
lol, just use pliers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts