Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to use my middle chainring from a specialized crankset that came with a 1999 Hardrock. It is a 4 bolt pattern...I bought shorter bolts and thought I was ready to go.

The skinnier part of the nuts are larger than the chainring holes, that is my first issue.

Even if they did make it through the hole and seated properly, the part that would make it through the chainring and to the crank would mean that the chainring would be lose although the bolts are tight - so some kind of spacer would be needed. Can someone set me straight on what I need to make the specialized crankset work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
bmx bolts

most bike shops will have what are commonly refered to as "bmx bolts" they are steel so they tighten down well and are made for single chainrings--they cost around $8-10.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
might be proprietary

talked to the guy at my lbs - apparently it is specific to specialized - I will bring it into them and let them figure it out.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just had a similar problem in my SS conversion... i ended up using the same bolts and picking up a couple washers at Ace hardware.. it wasnt an absolute perfect with washer inner diameter and bolt OD, but after it was tightened down i had to bolt spaced out about equal to the outer chain ring still installed. my bike shop had nothing that could space it out for me...
truvativ stylo of that helps...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.