Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change out the 4 chainring bolts on the big ring to some blue ones. For some bling obviously. I've been looking at these. http://cgi.ebay.com/MOWA-CRANK-CHAINRING-BOLTS-5-PAIR-7075-BLUE-/200443629177?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eab5f0e79#ht_4012wt_905 Mine just screw through the big ring into the middle ring. It's a hollow bolt ( no nut on the back). Will these work? What size would I need to get? There is no back to it, that some seem to have. It simply screws in.

These also.... http://cgi.ebay.com/Token-Chain-Ring-Crankset-Bolts-Screws-7075-8-8g-Blue-/230583328579?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35afd65f43#ht_2587wt_905

It says they are used on " all double ring type applications". Are the nuts for a different kind of set up? Can I order them and just use the bolts, because thats what my set up is like?

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SR Suntour XCR. The big ring gets bolted into the cranks 4 arms, then the middle ring.

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
006_007 said:
Sorry, my original response was displayed 5 times, so I wrote about the mtbr multi post, then it went back to one, so I re-wrote it, and now it seems to have [email protected] itself.

:thumbsup:
What you just responded to, I edited before you could see the new post. I gave you details. Check it out.

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bolt :M8 x 8.5mm

Nut:M8 x 6.5mm

Total length:12mm

I don't have a nut on the back of the bolt. It's just a bolt............

·
Registered
9,988 Posts
ProjectDan35 said:
Bolt :M8 x 8.5mm

Nut:M8 x 6.5mm

Total length:12mm

I don't have a nut on the back of the bolt. It's just a bolt............
I guarantee you that there is a nut that sits recessed into the mid ring. The nut/bolt combo holds both the mid and big rings.

Go pull one apart, you will see it once you remove one. :thumbsup:

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So all in all, I don't need to use the nut, I can just screw the bolt into the recessed nuts in the middle ring?

·
Registered
9,988 Posts
ProjectDan35 said:
So all in all, I don't need to use the nut, I can just screw the bolt into the recessed nuts in the middle ring?
You could, but as you will have it apart anyway I would put the bling blue nut in there as well - isnt uber-bling the point of this exercise? :D

Also be careful when tightening them down - those damn things can be stripped semi-easily.

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I took one bolt out of the big ring. The threads that the bolt screws into are part of the middle ring. The middle ring contains the threads, and when you screw the bolt in, it compressed the rings........

·
Blood, Sweat, and Gears
226 Posts
Buyer Beware: Item location: TW, Taiwan

Just my two cents, but they last couple of item I have purchased off ebay that were shipping from Asia directly never showed up. Smaller items that much more than an email or two requesting shipping info or a refund just really wasn't worth fighting. I now only purchase products that a shipping from within the US now.

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fletch 1 said:
Buyer Beware: Item location: TW, Taiwan

Just my two cents, but they last couple of item I have purchased off ebay that were shipping from Asia directly never showed up. Smaller items that much more than an email or two requesting shipping info or a refund just really wasn't worth fighting. I now only purchase products that a shipping from within the US now.
All the blue chainring bolts are not from the US. :mad:

·
Blood, Sweat, and Gears
226 Posts
Most hardware these days is imported but I would just try to purchase them from someone in the USA. It makes communicating,shipping and returns much easier if you run into an issue.

I was reading this thread this morning that included a few places you may try as an alternate to buying them direct from someone outside the North America.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=686881
Again, just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.