Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can't always get away with what you want.

Let me put it in perspective: My brother, a friend, and I hit the top of a sweet single-track trail this afternoon for some fun riding. Immediately we spot a fairly sketchy root-drop. It has to be dropped. My friend rides up to it and launches off of it, landing it pretty well. I take my turn, pedal hard to the edge and pull up like none other. I'm waaay up there, like atleast a foot in the air. Well, I took the wrong side of the drop. On the left side where I went off there's another root beneath it and *clip* my tire hits it on the way down. I bounces off the pedals, foward from the saddle, hit the landing, my right foot flys off to the side, left calf finds a nook between the rear suspension and chainring. I slam into the ground on my right side, the only thing keeping me from going over the bars is my wedged left leg. As I stand up and assess my situation, I look at my leg and its gushing blood everywhere. Being atleast an hour from medical care, stitches are no longer an option.

We clean out the cut with water, I get out my first-aid kit, we alcohol swab it down, oooh the burning. Then take a bandaid and put it over the largest puncture wound, and wrap the rest in gauze. Sock gets pulled up over it and all is good. Sock keeps getting bloodier though. We had a good ride the rest of the way down.

I get home, peel off my sock, its drenched in blood, tear-off the guaze its drenched in blood. Look at my leg and its all dirty and nasty in the wound. Try to clean it out... but other than gauze I have nothing to cover it with, so I'm walking around with a 6-hole battle scar on my lower left calf. An infection is the last thing I need. Oh well, no stitches, gonna be an awesome scar, scars have stories, chicks digs scars with stories.

No Pain, No Gain!

·
Registered
55 Posts
happened to me twice!

oldschool said:
Chainrings have blood lust....

If they don't get you while you are riding, they'll get you while you are wrenching....
Cheers,
Tim
Ive done kind of the smae thing TWICE! when i was ten on my paper route i wasnt paing attention, hit a rok about a foot high with my right foot, it slipped off the pedal and hit the rock, the crank had a field day in the back of my left leg. it resulted in a little pain and some nice scars.

Then a week ago my friend and I were riding our bikes all over the car that i was getting towed to get crushed which is another story is itself( ****ing cars) but set up a ramp onto the hood and planned to go up the ramp, windshield and then off the trunk and it all went so smooth until i nosed the landing and the same deal where my foot slipped off and the chainring stabbed me, but i dont really mind, their the coolest scars a have, but my right leg was pretty mad at me for a while haha.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have chain ring tattoos running up and down the back of both calves, from when I first learned to ride and clip in. It is so bad on my right calf that once before a race, the director looked at it and said that maybe I ought to start clipping in with the other leg. They really show up when I get tan. I also have one on my thigh from flipping the bike over to change a flat. :( I got my thigh pretty good. Luckily, they fade with time, but it's the cuts that get the oil in them that tend to scar I think.

jenny

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
pipedream said:
You can't always get away with what you want.

Let me put it in perspective: My brother, a friend, and I hit the top of a sweet single-track trail this afternoon for some fun riding. Immediately we spot a fairly sketchy root-drop. It has to be dropped. My friend rides up to it and launches off of it, landing it pretty well. I take my turn, pedal hard to the edge and pull up like none other. I'm waaay up there, like atleast a foot in the air. Well, I took the wrong side of the drop. On the left side where I went off there's another root beneath it and *clip* my tire hits it on the way down. I bounces off the pedals, foward from the saddle, hit the landing, my right foot flys off to the side, left calf finds a nook between the rear suspension and chainring. I slam into the ground on my right side, the only thing keeping me from going over the bars is my wedged left leg. As I stand up and assess my situation, I look at my leg and its gushing blood everywhere. Being atleast an hour from medical care, stitches are no longer an option.

We clean out the cut with water, I get out my first-aid kit, we alcohol swab it down, oooh the burning. Then take a bandaid and put it over the largest puncture wound, and wrap the rest in gauze. Sock gets pulled up over it and all is good. Sock keeps getting bloodier though. We had a good ride the rest of the way down.

I get home, peel off my sock, its drenched in blood, tear-off the guaze its drenched in blood. Look at my leg and its all dirty and nasty in the wound. Try to clean it out... but other than gauze I have nothing to cover it with, so I'm walking around with a 6-hole battle scar on my lower left calf. An infection is the last thing I need. Oh well, no stitches, gonna be an awesome scar, scars have stories, chicks digs scars with stories.

No Pain, No Gain!
Wash it with some water and use povidone-iodine antiseptic on it. Infections are no fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi:

Sorry for your misfortune. Don't know about the "hour rule" for stiches though. The last time I needed stiches was a trout fishing mishap, if you can believe that. Wet leaves on a moss covered sloping rock and the next thing I knew I was laying on the ground wondering why my chin hurt. The blood pouring down my neck let me know! Anyway, it was a half hour walk back to the car and a 45 min drive to the nearest town. Then about a hour wait in the emergency room with my shirt on my chin so I wouldn't "scare" the kids sitting around me. When the doctor looked at it, it had moss and leaves in it and he cleaned it out good. Stiched it up and you can hardly see it today. If anybody asks, I don't tell them it came from trout fishing though... :D

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
oldschool said:
Chainrings have blood lust....

If they don't get you while you are riding, they'll get you while you are wrenching....
Cheers,
Tim
True, dat!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts