Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on going back East for a race the end of the month and was wondering about what sort of chain lube would be a good bet for some Eastern woods riding. Before I moved to socal I was not quite as meticulous about lubes and whatnot so I can't really remember what worked well. I've been using White L*ghtning for the dry (a simple stream crossing seems to kill this stuff however) and I've got a wet lube for the rain on the commuter (attracts a lot of crap). Any suggestions on a good, long lasting "all condition" type of chainlube?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
you bet

Any suggestions on a good, long lasting "all condition" type of chainlube?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
I've stopped using different lubes for different conditions. Now all I ever use is Finish Line XC "wet" lube, even here in dusty dry Durango. I lube drop by drop on each link, AFTER riding, not right before, so the lube penetrates the rollers and pins and the carrier evaporates. I wipe the chain down well after lubing, you could touch it and not get dirty. In dusty conditions, it only picks up a little dirt, not enough to impede even an all-day ride. I wipe the chain clean after riding, so the dirt never builds up enough to be an issue. And if I end up crossing streams, or caught in a storm, etc., the lube doesn't crap out like all "dry" lubes do when exposed to water and mud. I use the same stuff in winter, in snow, mud, wet roads, it's great for every condition.
Having used 'bout everything out there, wet, dry, wax, whitelightning, raceday, blah blah, I'm sold on Finish Line XC.
Triflow ain't bad either, if that's still made..

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
And how does riding in dry dusty conditions relate to riding here in New England?

There are a lot of different lubes you can use and none of them will be wrong here in New England. If you ride early you get a dampness that, if there's no rain, will evaporate around noon. I've used ProLink and liked it for it's ability to keep things lubes and real quiet, but it attracts crap. I've been using Finishline Redcap(dry) and although it works really well it needs to be applied after a ride or two. I like it better because it's easier to clean than most others. Some folks use White Lightening, but it leaves a real thick coating of wax. They like that for all the creeks they cross and mud holes they go through. So all in all just pick one and clean, relube as necessary.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Pro Link Gold

Since using Pro Link gold a couple of years ago, I have used nothing else since. It is self cleaning, lubes the chain, doesnt seem to attract a lot of crap and doesnt leave huge chain ring tatoos like the real wet lubes such as tri flow. I live in australia and use it all year round... we are in the middle of winter now and it is still fine!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
flunk reading comprehension 101 did we?

fred³ said:
And how does riding in dry dusty conditions relate to riding here in New England?

There are a lot of different lubes you can use and none of them will be wrong here in New England. If you ride early you get a dampness that, if there's no rain, will evaporate around noon. I've used ProLink and liked it for it's ability to keep things lubes and real quiet, but it attracts crap. I've been using Finishline Redcap(dry) and although it works really well it needs to be applied after a ride or two. I like it better because it's easier to clean than most others. Some folks use White Lightening, but it leaves a real thick coating of wax. They like that for all the creeks they cross and mud holes they go through. So all in all just pick one and clean, relube as necessary.
Re-read my post, really slow this time, mouth the words like Bush if you have to, and you will find that I also discussed wet riding conditions.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Golly. Ahilk! Yer right. I missed the part about you gettting caught in rain and crossing streams. That's is exactly like New England and it's mixture of loam, clay, sand, pine needles. A perfect replica of our muddy season which can last into August.

Well dopey I've been using a dry lube for going on 6 years and have had zero problems. So why don't you try reading even slower(like Slick Willy) and see that he is going back "east" to ride. Now my reading comprehension may not be up to your standards, but I'm fairly certain Einstein that the conditions in Durango don't even come close to the east coast. Maybe more like Cal. where he was riding.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used to use Finishline XC. Then I switched to White Lightning for the summer. It doesn't last as well in the wet, and if it gets cold, it flakes off. But then along came Rock'n'Roll, and it is the best. It lasts as well, if not longer, than FL XC, and it is as clean as WL. Very very good.

It is only a case of whether it is available in your area...

Fred

Doughboy said:
I'm planning on going back East for a race the end of the month and was wondering about what sort of chain lube would be a good bet for some Eastern woods riding. Before I moved to socal I was not quite as meticulous about lubes and whatnot so I can't really remember what worked well. I've been using White L*ghtning for the dry (a simple stream crossing seems to kill this stuff however) and I've got a wet lube for the rain on the commuter (attracts a lot of crap). Any suggestions on a good, long lasting "all condition" type of chainlube?

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've used chain saw lube...

[for 2 years out in dry dusty conditions. Doesn't fling off, attracts a little dirt(you're going to wash chain anyway) and cheap as hell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts