Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running an 8 speed drivetrain on my 02' Enduro for the past two years w/o any problems. The other day I found my drive side pedal loose and turned out the crank arm threads were toast. Well I had Truvativ 5D square tapers and figured a set of Deore 510's would suffice. I installed them but right away I noticed my chainline is now @ 52mm , had about 49mm before. Are the Deore's not to be used w/ a 113 BB ?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Sounds like you used a 113 in any case, but the sheldonbrown.com bb data base indicates a deore 510 used either a 110 or 113, whereas only the 113 is listed for the truvativ...

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Sounds like you used a 113 in any case, but the sheldonbrown.com bb data base indicates a deore 510 used either a 110 or 113, whereas only the 113 is listed for the truvativ...
Thanx. Do you have a link to the BB data for different cranksets ? I am not going to use the Deore's and need to find a set compatible w/ my 113 BB.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
So, you need to buy something...

and you choose to buy a new crankset ($$$?) to work with your existing 113mm BB spindle, rather than buy a new $25 110mm UN-73 to work with a crankset that you already have? Seems like you're going to spend a lot more money than you need to to make this work.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nater said:
and you choose to buy a new crankset ($$$?) to work with your existing 113mm BB spindle, rather than buy a new $25 110mm UN-73 to work with a crankset that you already have? Seems like you're going to spend a lot more money than you need to to make this work.
Well to be honest my the Truvativ 5D's and the Deore's are entry level sets @ best. I am having a hard time figuring out which kind of set ( good set) i'd like to run long term. ISIS = durability issues ?, outboard = set-up / durability? Square taper i'll run for the moment. I don't want to buy a new BB for a set of iffy cranks.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
My limited experience...

I've never had a problem with square taper, but higher end cranks are getting harder and harder to find in the square taper format. I had good luck with Shimano Octalink V1 and V2. Still running M952 XTR arms on my SS, Cross-check, and my girlfriend's SS. My GF's new Orbea road bike has an FSA crankset that runs an ISIS BB, but it's brand new so I don't have any complaints about durability yet. She's also tiny so it might never be a problem on a road bike ridden by a 110 pounder. I have a Hollowtech II (external bearing) XT on my geary and setup is really easy (although my bike didn't use any of the spacers), don't know about durability yet. Q factor is definitely wider and chainline is relatively fixed, but would definitely recommend them...great cranks for the money.

Nate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.