Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Something is not adding up here. What hub are you running?

Re-dishing the wheel will not help as that will only move the rim in relation to the hub. I would make sure the wheel is dished correctly.

Do you have to pry the frame apart to get the wheel in? What is the hub spacing? Does the non-drive side have the same thickness nut on it? Also some SS setups like the chain ring on the inside of the cranks others replace the big ring. Once you have done your homework on the rear wheel try moving the ring around.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, square taper.
Hub is a Joy Tech of some kind. No, I don't have to force the wheel out at all. How do I measure hub spacing? No, non-drive side has a thinner nut.
If it helps, the bike is 06 Haro V1.

I appreciate the help everyone. Thanks.

More pics - I hope they help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
geez...

ok, so you took a multi-geared hub, removed the 7 speeds that were there, and screwed a freewheel on.

MUST RESPACE THE WHEEL SIDE TO SIDE AND REDISH.

I've done this conversion myself, but you have to realize that that hub and that freewheel were NEVER meant to be together in this fashion.
The hub was meant to handle 6 or 7 gears on that side of things, you've got one.

You CAN make a little difference with the bb spindle length but you're still about an inch off.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
that is a drastic difference!

i doubt you can move the spacer as the freewheel needs to thread on, but if you can it will solve the problem likely. where is the front chainring located? middle, big ring? try:

spacing the chainring in (washers work fine IME)
getting a shorter BB spindle
spacing the freewheel

or a combination of the above.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
*sigh*

done the conversion myself... anyone who hasn't successfully tried a bmx freewheel on a multi-geared hub please stop making suggestions. You're confusing the issue.

respace AND redish

if you JUST move the spacer over to the non-drive side then your WHOLE WHEEL gets spaced over by about 10mm right? (the rest of the wheel IS still attached to the hub!)

OK, but you NEED to move the spacer over to get the freewheel inline, so you KNOW that has to happen.

So now that your whole wheel's offcenter in your frame.. you need to take it down to an experienced LBS and get it re-dished.

SO- alternatives, get a wheel MEANT for ss duty, or enjoy the learning curve that comes with DIY.

I've done it, it works!
Expect your local mechanic to grumble because this mod isn't MEANT to be done so they have to actually do the math for spoke lengths etc, there's no spoke chart they can use... it's not THAT hard but it means cutting and threading new stuff.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
gsomtb said:
Can he just put the cassette body back on and then use spacers....a lot cheaper and less of a headache?????????
my son, my son;.. freewheels and freehubs are different animals. While they may have been a few cassette style freewheels, the vast majority have cogs that thread together like the diagram below. To further confuse the matter, freewheel style hubs look very much like narrow SS and BMX hubs and have the same threading as BMX freewheels. The difference is a BMX freewheels hub have a chainline that places a BMX freewheel at the extreme right of 110 mm spacing, most SS freewheels hubs have a chainline that places a BMX freewheel at the extreme right of 135mm spacing. A rear hub designed for a multispeed freewheel, looks very much like a front hub, is narrow like a cassette style freehub, only it has threads on the right side with no cassette carrier extending out. As several of the posters explained, it is possible to screw a BMX freewheel on a freewheel stlye hub, but since it is so narrow, you would need to redish the hub over to the right to make up for the narrower BMX freewheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
Light bulb.

aka brad said:
my son, my son;.. freewheels and freehubs are different animals. While they may have been a few cassette style freewheels, the vast majority have cogs that thread together like the diagram below. To further confuse the matter, freewheel style hubs look very much like narrow SS and BMX hubs and have the same threading as BMX freewheels. The difference is a BMX freewheels hub have a chainline that places a BMX freewheel at the extreme right of 110 mm spacing, most SS freewheels hubs have a chainline that places a BMX freewheel at the extreme right of 135mm spacing. A rear hub designed for a multispeed freewheel, looks very much like a front hub, is narrow like a cassette style freehub, only it has threads on the right side with no cassette carrier extending out. As several of the posters explained, it is possible to screw a BMX freewheel on a freewheel stlye hub, but since it is so narrow, you would need to redish the hub over to the right to make up for the narrower BMX freewheel.
Word.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hope I don't come off sounding like an a$$hole but take it down to your LBS they will take care of you,

if you are in this situation than you lack the knowledge to successfully complete this project

It will require multiple bicycle specific tools and an understanding of what you need to know.

Just trying to keep you form wasting a bunch of time.

Ideally you need a new SS specific wheel that will accept a thread on BMX FW

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.