Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much is too much when it comes to having your chainline off?
I've run a couple mm's out of alignment without issue in the past. I was curious because I run a Chub hub with a WI freewheel which can make a near perfect alignment difficult depending on what I run for a crank/ring setup.

·
Registered
835 Posts
dubthang said:
Thanks for the reply. I know that a couple of mils in no biggie. I was curious if there was a number at which people start to cringe a little, 4mm, 8mm, etc?
I'd cringe at 4mm, but I may be picky. When you look at a derailleur-equipped bike, in some gearing combinations, the chainline is often off by a lot more than that, so you can probably get away with more than I think.

·
up n over
407 Posts
If ur line is off just make sure ur running a deraileur chain..
they have a lower tolerance when it comes to being straight..
A SS devoted chain will almost stand when u hold it up sideways where a deraileur chain will "rainbow"..

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
illnacord said:
44.7mm Chub hub. Phil Wood rear SS disc MTB hub is 52mm chainline. This could potentially be a problem for an existing front crankset matched (with custom sized Phil bb) to a standard SS chainline, correct me if I'm wrong...
Direct measurement on my frame (assuming the dropouts are equidistant from the center line) gives me a chainline on 54.5mm. So yes, this can be an issue for most front cranks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.