Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SISS came with the Stylo SS crank and Truvativ BB. I've reinstalled it 3x's now and it continues to creak/loosen each time. I've been running the ring in the outside position to correct the chainline. I've installed the bb and cranks with a torque wrench each time. The first time I figured it was just the initial assembly done without a torque wrench but now I don't think so. What do I want?

1. A good ISIS bb that I can install and forget about for about 1year.

2. Put my chainring back in the "middle" position. It has a chainline of 48.5 with 113mm bb. That means I need like a 123-124mm to make it line up with my spot hub and shimano fw (~54mm chainline). Or a 118 with a 2.5mm spacer or so. A BB with adjustable chainline would be great.

3. Something reasonably priced. I see the Raceface Evolve bb's which are about $50 bux. The FSA's look nice too but I don't know about chainline adjustment with these.

Any suggestions. I would probably be better off getting some old square tapers and putting them in right?

Thanks
GP

·
Registered
478 Posts
Assuming that you use a middle ring on the outside...

Did you flip the ring so that the counter-sunk bolt hole is outside?

dd..''

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes

I am using triple bolts with a spacer to put the guard outboard of the ring. I did flip the ring though. It sits nicely on the spider that way.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well, that is perplexing...

Well, focusing on the BB...

Have you considered a Race Face Signature XS? I know it is a bit spendy, but it does have a lot of the qualities you seem to be looking for. I bought one for exactly the reasons you are describing and have had minimal problems with it. It does wear out rather quickly, but I haven't had an ISIS BB last any longer. Also, Race Face quickly replaced the BB with a new one when it did wear out under a year. It practically pays for itself in the long run. Anyway, just a thought.

Hope this helps.

dd..'''

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed a new FSA platinum pro last night. It is brand new but it sounds like it is making noises. The papers say that it will be stiff feeling for a short time but doesn't say it will make "sand" type noises. I reinstalled it about 3 times and it did it every time.

I used a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side flange after the first installation to correct chainline a little bit. Is this OK?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts