Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently upgraded my wheel set, Cassette, Chain and chainrings. Now I am having the worst time trying to get my shifting dialed in correctly.

I've tried just about everything, new chain / old chain / removed links etc. and completely started from scratch adjusting the rear and front mech.

Is it possilbe that I altered the Chain line too much and that's what is causing my problems with shifting? Especially with regards to the Chainrings? I'm thinking it's either that or the chain is catching on the machined latch part on the inside of the rings.

thanks

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
If the chain is catching on something on the chainrings, it'll be obvious when pedaling the bike in the workstand. In my experience, though, it might create an annoyance, but in and of itself won't affect shifting.

A. Exactly what is the shifting problem you're experiencing?

B. What rings did you switch from, what rings did you switch to?

C. 8 or 9 speed cassette? chain?

D. The derailleurs and crank arms I assume are unchanged?

I don't know how experienced you are, but my "starting point" for any derailleur setup is to size up the chain, then adjust the derailleur "resting" limit screws (High in rear unless Rapidrise/Low in front) and only then attach the cables and begin tweaking the barrel adjusters. From there, everything usually falls right into place.

There are times when replacing chainrings with another brand will create some minor spacing issues, requiring spacers to get the 6mm or so ring-to-ring spacing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

A. Exactly what is the shifting problem you're experiencing?

The chain seems to be catching on the middle chainring (while in granny gear) and is wanting to upshift when it's not even touching the front derailleur. This happens while the Cassette is in any except the top three gears.
I also noticed in my race last weekend that it was periodically having trouble downshifting as well.

B. What rings did you switch from, what rings did you switch to?

I switched from Specialized OEM rings to Race Face ones

C. 8 or 9 speed cassette? chain?

9 Speed, Both Shimano XT

D. The derailleurs and crank arms I assume are unchanged?

Correct BB, Cranks and derailleurs are the same.

I don't know how experienced you are, but my "starting point" for any derailleur setup is to size up the chain, then adjust the derailleur "resting" limit screws (High in rear unless Rapidrise/Low in front) and only then attach the cables and begin tweaking the barrel adjusters. From there, everything usually falls right into place.

There are times when replacing chainrings with another brand will create some minor spacing issues, requiring spacers to get the 6mm or so ring-to-ring spacing.[/QUOTE]
I sized up the chain by copying the original chain length, i ended up removing a few extra links for a little more tension. Then I adjusted the rear der. and then the front. I'll have to measure the space between the rings but that's a good start.
Thanks a ton!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts