Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the rookie inquiry, but is there some reason why it's bad to not have a chainguard? Seems like there's enough tension on the chain on a typical SS to keep things on track (and if the BMX hucksters don't need one, well then...).

If I've started another holy war (i.e. disks vs. v-brakes), I apologize in advance....

S

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
sawhite said:
Sorry for the rookie inquiry, but is there some reason why it's bad to not have a chainguard? Seems like there's enough tension on the chain on a typical SS to keep things on track (and if the BMX hucksters don't need one, well then...).

If I've started another holy war (i.e. disks vs. v-brakes), I apologize in advance....

S
Some people ride their bikes over obstacles on a trail such as logs/rocks/small children. It protects not only the chain but the chainring.

·
The man who fell to earth
335 Posts
By "chainguard" I assume you're talking about the bashguard ring that is bolted to the crank adjacent to the chainring? If so, the primary reason for it is to protect the chainring (and chain) from being bent/damaged/broken from encounters with rocks, logs etc. It also serves to stiffen/strengthen the crank's spider making things a bit more robust. Although for me, I usually run without one and just go naked chainring. So far no real problems with occasional log hop rubs. But if I rode through big rock gardens every day, I'd keep one on.

sawhite said:
Sorry for the rookie inquiry, but is there some reason why it's bad to not have a chainguard? Seems like there's enough tension on the chain on a typical SS to keep things on track (and if the BMX hucksters don't need one, well then...). If I've started another holy war (i.e. disks vs. v-brakes), I apologize in advance....S

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
I run a huge bmx-style chain a la PC-7X and either a BMX or DH chainring...with that combo, nothing has ever been damaged.

I think it's also because when going over logs, etc, it's usually at super slow speeds, preventing harm.

Come to think of it, out of the many folks I ride with who use a bashgaurd..most have it on there...because it was on there when they got the ride....I've never seen one "use it..."

·
Registered
687 Posts
I took mine off

But finally found a reason for it...
I was doing a steep out of the saddle climb last week on my SS 29er and my chain came off the chainring to the outside :eek: I thought my chain broke , luckily no injury.
This happend because my chain has streched and I haven't adjusted the ebb...
I took it off in the first place to make it easier to keep the chain and ring clean and save a little weight...
I'm keeping a bashring on my Surly 1x1 to protect my bellbottom jeans when I ride around town intoxicated ;)

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Keeps my pants out of the chainring when doing beer/town runs ;)

I have run both ways and that is the only real reason I can come up on for myself. When I have bashed logs both with and without no damage incurred. I am not really into bashing rocks, pay to much for my equipment for that.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I don't have or use one but I can see at least 2 uses for it.

1) Safety - could prevent chainring cuts on your legs during a fall.
2) Stenght - if you use a triple ring crankset and installed the chainring in the middle ring position the bash guard helps by adding strenght to the setup just like the big ring will do on a multiple ring setup.

Other than that IMO is just for the bing factor.

·
Registered
569 Posts
depends on...

where you live and what you ride. I have hit rocks that I thought I had the clearance for and snapped my chain and bent some teeth. For NorthernRocky trials trails I like it. For buffy/smoothy stuff, I 'd say you don't need one. I think the trail and your style dictates its necessity.

·
Registered
246 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
I don't have or use one but I can see at least 2 uses for it.

1) Safety - could prevent chainring cuts on your legs during a fall.
2) Stenght - if you use a triple ring crankset and installed the chainring in the middle ring position the bash guard helps by adding strenght to the setup just like the big ring will do on a multiple ring setup.

Other than that IMO is just for the bing factor.
I ride in Central texas and use a bash guard for the two reason's DiRtDeVil mentions, plus add
3) Protect chainring when crossing rock gardens and rock stairs/ledges

-MIME

·
Registered
59 Posts
My...

bash guard on my Surly is full of tiny dents and dings that it absorbed as opposed to the chain or chain ring taking the abuse. As stated before, if you ride over obstacles, one seems necessary, from my point of view.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're converting a bike and you are using a normal crankset you will either have to get shorter chainring bolts or a bash ring to run a single speed setup. I found out that it was cheaper to get a bash ring than a set of shorter chainring bolts so I went with the bash ring. But, yeah, it pretty much serves no purpose for me other than to allow me to use normal chainring bolts.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
with or without

I agree with most of the reasons stated, where I ride I don't need one. I have kept them on if they came with the bike or crank, but usually don't put one on otherwise. My urban utility project bike will have one because it is already on the crank and to keep pants out of the chain. I have learned the hard way that if an obstacle is big enough to hit my chainring, it is safer to go around it or lift my bike over it. Call me a wimp, but I prefer not to fall onto big rocks and logs ;)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
trials use...

I have a friend who goes through chainguards at the rate of one a season, but hes uses his in his trials attempts (he's actually pretty good)...other than that, i have never used mine...i think it just looks cool, like when i wear my lycra shorts...

·
Registered
338 Posts
sawhite said:

S
Another thing to consider. If you are a clumbsy , unskilled rider like me a bashguard may protect your drivetrain from your mistakes, like when you think you can clear a log but end up coming to a crashing halt halfway across.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Helps keep...

...my creamy white calf clean of chain spooge. Actually I don't run one on my SS because for some reason I can't get chain clearance - my Surly SS chainring isn't offset towards the inside like the geared rings for my cranks (Race Face Turbines).

I run it on my gearies though as I rarely have the need for the big ring and I hate taking chunks out of my legs when I fall down go boom. It also keeps my creamy white calf clean.

Sean

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
I originally began using one on my ProFlex 856 when I took off the unneeded big ring. I never used it and found a good deal on a Kooka ring guard, I put 'er on. When I got my Bontrager from GuitarTed, I did the same thing, but for what ended up being a different reason. I rode it as 1x8 for a while and had some problems tossing the chain to the inside and outside. I put the guard on this bike, and bought an N-Gear Jump Stop for the inside. Problem solved. When I SSed 'er up, I just left it on as jewelry. I have recently ridden with it off under heavy lodaing and experienced no problems. Some people need them, some don't, some just don't care either way. I do know that my daughter likes the fact that I put one on her bike to keep her pants out of the chain. So that is another reason that someone else stated that is also viable.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Unless you are using weak chainrings there is no need to a guard/bashring. A thin ring can be bent on a log/rock crossing.

I have bashed, scraped, crashed my ring and chain into countless rocks and logs with no ring/tooth/chain damage. The chain itself does a pretty good job protecting the teeth.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well I am going to run a salsa bashguard on my salsa chainring(current ss build). figured why not? I often try to jump things that are out of my experience, figure it may be money well spent, I may or may not leave it on.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
shiggy said:
Unless you are using weak chainrings there is no need to a guard/bashring. A thin ring can be bent on a log/rock crossing.

I have bashed, scraped, crashed my ring and chain into countless rocks and logs with no ring/tooth/chain damage. The chain itself does a pretty good job protecting the teeth.
True, but it also depends on type and shape of the rocks. One of 3 trail areas where my bash guard touches actually digs into the metal where the others usually just scratch, and same place wrecked big ring on my XT crank.

To be honest, protecting the drive train has not been an issue for my single and 7 speed rigs.

For those considering a purchase: The smooth edged products will slide on logs compared to the ones with some teeth or a knurled edge. That took a bit of getting used to.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.