Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what the best SS chain is. I am running a salsa 32 chainring, a gusset conversion on the rear with the supplied cog, and a Zion 660 EBB frame. I put a Sram single speed chain on it, but it is not running very well. Need advice from all you super smart and experienced SSers.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
kes12 said:
I need to know what the best SS chain is. I am running a salsa 32 chainring, a gusset conversion on the rear with the supplied cog, and a Zion 660 EBB frame. I put a Sram single speed chain on it, but it is not running very well. Need advice from all you super smart and experienced SSers.
It may or may not be the because of the chain. Be sure your chainline is straight and the adjustment is not too tight. You should not have any binding at any point in the rotation.

BTW the Wippermann Whitestar 108 is my favorite chain

·
Advanced Slacker
15,402 Posts
kes12 said:
First of all, what do you mean by "not running very well?

I had a SRAM PC-1 and it was garbage. Half the links were stiff after one ride, and several of the rollers were too narrow, like they got some 9-speed rollers mixed in. I've got a post on this board somewhere about it. From what I understand, there are two different versions of this chain, so I must have gotten the one that sucks butt. I switched to a regular SRAM 8 speed chain, and life is good. I can't recomend what a really good chain is because they all seem the same to me if I keep them lubed, but my point is that if the problem is the chain, anything will work loads better than that chain.

·
Combat Wombat
1,873 Posts
Do a search on this.

kes12 said:
You will find lots of good debates on this subject. Although I personally think that if you are going with a bushingless type chain, you would be hard pressed to find a better chain than the KMC Z610H.

Brian

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks for everyone's help. I went to the LBS and a PC-48 and a half link later and there is just enough slack and everything is working smoothly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.