Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you tell you have worn cassette? I just went through a new chain in maybe 300 miles tops(just went past 0.75mm wear)...granted mostly poor conditions but still. I don't notice any skipping on my cassette, and I don't have any chainsuck (which means worn chain rings right?). My chain rings are relatively new, but the cassette is nearly two years old, so I'm guessing it's what is causing the issue.

I obviously need to replace the chain, have a slightly used (100 miles or so) cassette I may replace old one with as well...but wondering if I should "splurge" on a new one??

Thanks for any advice,
Kirk

Info for those who want such things
9 speed,XT 03 cranks, Sram PC-69 chain, XT 11-32 cassette,XT Derailleurs, used Roloff (sp) chain checker.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My experience with mega nine was in the Phoenix area, so mostly flat land (ie I rarely used the large cogs on the cassette). Without a regular chain replace I had the cassettes and chains strech fail at 1000 miles even on three occations. The first time I just replaced the chain without realizing that the cassette was also bad. The chain did not work at all, just jumped right over the cogs on the cassette right off the bat. One thing I look for in a bad cassette (I don't know if this actually is accurate or not) is to wipe it clean and run my fingernail across the side of a few teeth searching for burs on the front edge.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I tend....

ibmkidIII said:
How do you tell you have worn cassette? I just went through a new chain in maybe 300 miles tops(just went past 0.75mm wear)...granted mostly poor conditions but still. I don't notice any skipping on my cassette, and I don't have any chainsuck (which means worn chain rings right?). My chain rings are relatively new, but the cassette is nearly two years old, so I'm guessing it's what is causing the issue.

I obviously need to replace the chain, have a slightly used (100 miles or so) cassette I may replace old one with as well...but wondering if I should "splurge" on a new one??

Thanks for any advice,
Kirk

Info for those who want such things
9 speed,XT 03 cranks, Sram PC-69 chain, XT 11-32 cassette,XT Derailleurs, used Roloff (sp) chain checker.
... to replace my chains every 3-500 miles or so... whenever cleaning and lubing doesn't get rid of that grindy feeling. As the chian wears, it distrubutes its load over fewer and fewer teeth which makes for more chain noise under load. FWIU, you should change the cassette every 1000 miles or so, and in that time you should wear out two chains. I'm still on the same XT 9 speed cassette after about 2000 miles, but I tend to stick to the middle cogs and middle/big ring.

I also tend to clean my chain every major ride, or every other ride, depending on how much crud I pick up.

I would say even if you rode exclusively in sand, there is no way you killed your cassette in 100 miles. Maybe you just need to spend more time cleaning and lubing your chain, say after each ride. It sounds to me like sandy dirt is getting in your chain and grinding away your pins. I use a Finish Line chain cleaner, the clear green plastic one. That thing really works, I tell you what. Every 3-4 times, I take the chain off and soak it in degreaser and give it a 'real' cleaning. Be sure to rinse off the degreaser before lubing up, or the degreaser will cut the chain lube.

I found that ProLink is the hsit, as far as chain lubes go, and I've tried a bunch of them. I saturate my chain, let it dry for a while and rag the rest off with good results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.