Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you replace just your chain on your single/speed when it measures out to be worn on a Parks chain gauge?

I've tried it on my geared MTB , finally came to the conclusion I was better off just leaving it ALL alone and replacing everything(chain,cassette and rings) at once. It seemed to work ok on my Roadie bike, they don't seem to be as hard on the cassette and rings.

Do you practice the same on the single? My chain is starting to show some age, but the gears are fine. They are Boones' ring and cog set up. I'm thinking of letting it all just wear slam out together. Is this bad?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
You wouldn't really let it wear out?

Enoch said:
Do you replace just your chain on your single/speed when it measures out to be worn on a Parks chain gauge?

Do you practice the same on the single? My chain is starting to show some age, but the gears are fine. They are Boones' ring and cog set up. I'm thinking of letting it all just wear slam out together. Is this bad?
I replace it when it a 12" section stretches over 12 1/16".
I wouldn't want to wear out Boone rings and cogs any earlier than necessary. :eek:

·
Registered
174 Posts
You probably won't get much better than a PC68....its the point of diminishing returns.
Nickle plated inner and outer plates. The only thing left to change is your lube, unless you aleady feel like you've got the perfect stuff going on.

For the wet gritty stuf around here, I first run an excess of Pro-Link, clean it off, and add DuMond tech light, and clean it off. The Pro-Link gets in there and purges the nasty and gives the surface a nice treatment, while the DuMond is simply the most protective lube Ive ever seen.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I use the PC-7X and replace about twice a year even though it shows little wear.

When I was using cheap KMC BMX chains I had to replace every 4-6 weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.