Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Underskilled
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a stupid mistake, I have allowed my KMC9 SL rust.

£40 worth of chain being damaged is a pain, so I thought I would check if it is any use.

There is no chain stretch, amazing for 6 months of abuse.
However some of the rollers have seized and do not roll.

Is this chain for the bin, or is the non rolling rollers not an issue?

Help

P

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Oil it well using a quality chain oil or penetrating oil, forget about it a day or two then ride it for a while. There's a good chance that the rollers will free up if they aren't rusted too badly.

If so, you've saved yourself £40. If not, you should replace the chain as the damaged rollers will cause extra wear on the more valuable cassette and chainrings.

·
Live Free or Ride!
604 Posts
I would let it sit overnight or even to days in a bowl of some sort of penetrating or chain oil. See if that loosens them up. otherwise ditch it and get a new chain. Putting a seized chain on will destroy your cranks, jockeys, and cassette pretty quickly. Better to spend $40 on a chain then a $1000 on a new drivetrain.

·
Underskilled
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after chatting to a few peeps, some plusgas is in the post.

I will chuck the chain in the can and leave for a few days to see how things go.

I am just amazed at the life of this chain, just wish I had treated it better.

Just in case people are curious, I always use XT cassettes and Deore (steel) front rings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.