Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've go my SS set up with a generic Al ring up front, a SRAM PC68 chain and a White Industries ENO freewheel in back.

The chain is starting to wear, it's at about 1/16 of an inch of stretch right now. The chainring is clearly deformed. I plan on replacing my chain and chainring in a few months (with a PC1 and Surly SS respectively), but I like to squeeze every last bit of use I can out of things. Do I risk putting excessive wear on that expensive ENO freewheel if I keep riding it when the rest of the drivetrain is toast?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
FishMan473 said:
I've go my SS set up with a generic Al ring up front, a SRAM PC68 chain and a White Industries ENO freewheel in back.

The chain is starting to wear, it's at about 1/16 of an inch of stretch right now. The chainring is clearly deformed. I plan on replacing my chain and chainring in a few months (with a PC1 and Surly SS respectively), but I like to squeeze every last bit of use I can out of things. Do I risk putting excessive wear on that expensive ENO freewheel if I keep riding it when the rest of the drivetrain is toast?
The ENO will wear out faster, I'd replace the chain today. Then replace the chain again when you can budget a new chainring.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I agree with pacman. Replace the chain today, it's the cheapest component. I ran a shop for a long time, and I favored using the ruler over fancy chain-stretch tools as my gauge (gage). I found that at 1/16" stretch per foot, that is a good chain replacement time. By the time that the chain achieves 1/8"stretch per foot, the cassette/freewheel cogs are goners. Happy riding!

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pc-1

Alright, I'm convinced. Any reason I shouldn't pick up a SRAM PC-1? It's so inexpensive. Is it really heavier then a PC-58? Any problems with it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.