Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I have a nearly stock '06 FSRxc, and I have a chain issue. I'm using the Shimano HG73 and I've read some terrible reviews, and i believe in just half a dozen rides, It has stretched badly.

I would like to ugrade.

What do you suggest. SRAM PC-991? XTR 7701? I'm a big guy (215 lbs) that rides hard, so the stronger the better!

-Joshua

·
Registered
277 Posts
My experience shows that like most things SRAM, their chains suck! SRAM chains make for an obnoxiously loud drivetrain that will annoy the rider and any rider just behind you. With regards to shifting, I think that is more up to the cassette however the chain certainly has some to do with it. When I built up my bike, I selected all M970 XTR components, cassette and chain. The drivetrain is seen and not heard and the shifting couldn't be smoother. I have never bothered to experiment with M775 XT chains however, I would expect about the same performance with just a little added weight.

My vote is to get either a XT or XTR chain. Oh, and buy a KMC master-link too; this way you can conveniently remove the chain for periodic cleaning.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nemesisnxt said:
mylesofsmyles,

Thank you for the reply. KMC master-link will allow me to remove/install without constant pin replacement? Cool!

-Joshua
Yeah, my only issue with Shimano chains is the pin assembly. I have never broken one, yet, however it seems a poor decision to break/remove a pin each and every time one removes the chain. A master-link is a simple few dollar part, just like a SRAM power-link, a way better means of chain removal.

·
Drunk Poster
364 Posts
I have been running an SRAM PG 991 Crossstep for 500 miles now no problems! It's nice and smooth, I just have to keep cleaning! Now only if someone made a self cleaning chain I would switch.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Nemesisnxt said:
Hello everyone!

I have a nearly stock '06 FSRxc, and I have a chain issue. I'm using the Shimano HG73 and I've read some terrible reviews, and i believe in just half a dozen rides, It has stretched badly.

I would like to ugrade.

What do you suggest. SRAM PC-991? XTR 7701? I'm a big guy (215 lbs) that rides hard, so the stronger the better!

-Joshua
You hear a complaint and then believe you have the problem? Over 12 inches of chain how much stretch did you get? When you replaced the chain (recently I assume) did you replace the cassette and/or chainrings? If you had significant wear on those items then a new chain will be toast in a very short time. Chains aren't all that sexy or a large performance factor, and should be replaced regularly if you ride a lot; going with a reasonably priced and functional chain like the HG73 works very well for a lot of people. Personally I watch for sales on the XTR/Dura Ace chains and buy a few at a time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
You hear a complaint and then believe you have the problem? Over 12 inches of chain how much stretch did you get? When you replaced the chain (recently I assume) did you replace the cassette and/or chainrings? If you had significant wear on those items then a new chain will be toast in a very short time. Chains aren't all that sexy or a large performance factor, and should be replaced regularly if you ride a lot; going with a reasonably priced and functional chain like the HG73 works very well for a lot of people. Personally I watch for sales on the XTR/Dura Ace chains and buy a few at a time.
Well said! I would agree that there is more to with maintenance and upkeep than the actual chain itself. Replace your chain every 1000 miles! On my mountain bike, I have exclusively used XTR chains and have no complaints whatsoever. From what I hear, the XT chains are just as good, but heavier. The few times I have been on bikes with lesser Shimano chains, provided they are not worn, dry or dirty, seem to work okay too. On my road bike, I just noticed today, that it has a KMC 10 speed chain...this thing sucks. All this time, I assumed my bike came with a Shimano 105 level chain. It isn't worn, it is only a couple of months old. Already, the links feel very gritty and it makes a lot of noise. I will soon replace with a Dura Ace chain...I expect a significant improvement.

Like all other components, I find Shimano brand products to be superior in terms of performance, feel and durability; the chains are no different. I have had zero problems with any of my chains, as I take care of them properly. I have however, noticed that Shimano chains, in general, perform better and last longer than the likes of SRAM, Wipperman or KMC.

If it is a long lasting, smooth shifting chain you seek, get yourself an XT level chain and use a master-link. Also, if it is poor shifting you are attempting to correct, don't overlook your cassette. The cassette, more so than the chain greatly impacts overall performance and accuracy of the shift. Well engineered shift points are crucial. XT, again, shifts extremely well; I'd argue about as well as XTR, and lasts longer. The biggest difference I can note between XT and XTR cassettes is that the 4 largest cogs on XTR are titanium; XT is full aluminum.

·
Registered
277 Posts
smokey422 said:
I've had good luck with SRAM shifters, derailleurs, and chains. I use Shimano on my road bike but prefer SRAM on my mountain bike.

Smokey
One could argue that it is all subject to opinion. I find greater consistency and dependability out of my Shimano components, far more so than with any SRAM gruppo I have ever owned or used. I have plenty of friends who opt for SRAM over Shimano; they all seem to love it...for good reason, it is nice stuff! My experiences have been better with Shimano thus, I trust Shimano components to shift smoother and last longer. I find the weight savings to be negligible between the likes of SRAM and Shimano; I am far more concerned with the components' durability and overall performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.