Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a new bike with a race face dues crank (44/34/22) and an 11-32 cassette. When in the small chainring (22) and small cog (11) the chain almost touches the chainstay. In this gear combo it is only about 1mm off the chainstay. I know this is not a recommended gear combo and would not be a big concern, but it is also bad while in the middle chainring (34) and the smallest rear cog.

My first thought was the perhaps the chain length was too long, but I measured according to the big-to-big, then add two links rule and it does not "sag". Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
-R

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Since you talk about sag, we are talking about the bit running over the top of the cogs/chainrings, yes? Is it causing a problem when you ride? (sounds like you might not have gotten this far, though) Is this 1mm distance without any kind of protector or covering on the chainstay? What frame is it?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. So first up (and I can't beleive I did this) the rear wheel was not fully seated in the dropouts ( ouch! that admisssion hurts). Fixing that definitly gave me more space. Next I talked to guys at LBS and they said it is quite common for this type of frame (moots ybb).

-R

Edit: BTW last night was the first ride on singletrack and shifting did not seem to be a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.