Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the solution for this? I am thinking a wider bb spindle to give the chain more clearance. Further down the road, I am thinking about something with an adjustable chainline. I am running xt cranks with the octalink bb with a 113 spindle length. What have you guys been doing to alleviate this?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Hmm

indyfab25 said:
What is the solution for this? I am thinking a wider bb spindle to give the chain more clearance. Further down the road, I am thinking about something with an adjustable chainline. I am running xt cranks with the octalink bb with a 113 spindle length. What have you guys been doing to alleviate this?
I have HighRoller 2.5s on my Heckler with room to spare. I have a raceface NS XS crankset with a raceface BB.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
It might help if you clarify under what conditions you get rubbing.

On my 2004.5 there is no rubbing with a 118mm bb width, but chainline isn't good if you plan to use all nine cogs out back. With a 113mm bb chainline is spot one, but in the granny ring up front the chain will sway enough to nip the tire, especially when coasting. It is annoying, but not really an issue. Just makes a light buzz.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,794 Posts
I get the same thing.

indyfab25 said:
I have the same problem running even a wierwolf 2.5 on the back with a narrow xc rim. In granny ring and largest cog I get teh most outer tire treads rubbing on the chain. I have thought about using a wider axle.

Kapusta

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it is just a matter of annoyance...

the 2.5 wierwolfs measure 2.39 and they catch the chain ALL the time. It is not so much a rub as it is the chain catching on the knobs and pulling it down creating a wierd sensation while pedaling, coasting, climbing, downhill. It might be worse with the wolfs because of the outer knob design. Using a 2.6 would be super annoying. I am going to try a kinetics stick-e 2.35 to at least minimize the annoyance. I thought about going with a 118 mm bottom bracket but I am looking to upgrade the cranks and bb anyway...possibly to saint.

·
Custom User Title
717 Posts
indyfab25 said:
the 2.5 wierwolfs measure 2.39 and they catch the chain ALL the time. It is not so much a rub as it is the chain catching on the knobs and pulling it down creating a wierd sensation while pedaling, coasting, climbing, downhill. It might be worse with the wolfs because of the outer knob design. Using a 2.6 would be super annoying. I am going to try a kinetics stick-e 2.35 to at least minimize the annoyance. I thought about going with a 118 mm bottom bracket but I am looking to upgrade the cranks and bb anyway...possibly to saint.
What kind of BB do you have and are you running any spacers?

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No...but

I do not think 2-3mm will make much of a difference. This was happening to my 2.35 ritchy z max that is notorious for being UNDER sized. The phenomenon is much worse with the wolfs. With frame flex through the rough it can be very annoying. It is just something that I have to deal with. I don't need 2.5's anyway. 2.3's are good enough for my environment and riding style. I am going with the saint cranks soon so perhaps those will help. I am willing to bet that a chainguide would be the easiest solution given that this happens most when the chain is bouncing around. However, since I ride mostly aggressive XC with some stunts thrown in, I really can't warrant it. By the way, for those above that do not have the problem...are you running chain guides?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
No chainguide on my Heckler. With my 2.5 Highroller on the back in the lowest gearing I still get about 1cm of clearance between the tire and chain. It must be a combination of crank and bb width. I heard one response that the Highroller is not a true 2.5 but it is still wider than a 2.3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.