Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
SSOD
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running surly tugnnuts on my rear dropouts with track ends. One of the screws was bent on a ride and I was trying to straighten it out and it broke. While waiting on another one to come in I pulled out the old screw and piece that presses against the ends of the dropouts so that it was just the main piece left. I've been running it for several rides and the rear wheel hasn't moved on me any.

I guess my question is do you really need tensioners or can you just tighten the bolts directly to the track ends? I have an aluminum frame but am worried about the smaller surface not creating a secure enough bite.

On a side note I have gotten pretty good at using my hand to pull pressure on the wheel to create chain tension then tightening the bolts down and actually prefer doing it this way now.

·
3,707 Posts
I don't use chain tensioners on any of my bikes and they've not slipped. The 15mm bolts are the best, but my XT skewers also work very well.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
necessary? maybe not, especially with a bolt-on hub.

handy? I think so. The one on the drive side means I never have to worry about setting correct tension when I reinstall the wheel. The one on the disc side means my wheel always goes back in just as straight so the rotor stays straight in the caliper within that narrow pad gap

1 - 3 of 3 Posts