Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
over researcher
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who knows anything about single speeds? I want to build up my old '96 Mongoose IBOC Pro-SX frame into a single speed. I plan on using a Blackspire Mono Veloce 34T 110mm front ring (using my old RF Turbine LP 110/74 cranks), a Kick Ass Cog and Fibonacci Spacer Kit (using my old White Industries Ti wheelset), a SRAM 8sp (should I go 9sp?) chain, and a chain tensioner mounted at the derailleur hanger. I want a good chain tensioner that pushes the chain up, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. However, in the world of chain tensioners, I don't really know what an arm and a leg equates to. Do I want a tensioner with a spring or one that holds tight? Any suggestions on tensioners?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Surly is the original and in my opinion the only way to go, so many companies have copied it so it must be good, I ran one for a while but the gearing I choose to run only allowed me to run pushing down, and in the midst of playing with my chain I found out my magic gear so I no longer need it

·
surfer w/out waves
613 Posts
I just bought a YESS BB tensioner... looks pretty solid. I have it installed but not totally adjusted since I'm waiting for my 19t SS cog to arrive... I think it looks a bit cleaner having it mount to the BB instead of the rear drop out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know that you are not looking for a chain tensioner that pushes back, but the forte one is probably the cheapest around. I put one on my bike a couple of weeks ago and I probably have 25 miles on it, and it seems okay. Very loud though. There is definately no slack in the chain. Even though it is loud, it does its job beautifully. Of course, it is the complete opposite of what you are looking for.

Are all tensioners loud, or is it just my cheap performance brand one?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
havnmonkey said:
I just bought a YESS BB tensioner... looks pretty solid. I have it installed but not totally adjusted since I'm waiting for my 19t SS cog to arrive... I think it looks a bit cleaner having it mount to the BB instead of the rear drop out.
I've got a couple of rides on a YESS ETR-B bottom bracket-mounted tensioner.

In theory, excellent!

But it's a little limited in how much chain slack it can take up. I still had to dig for a "magic gear combo" for a ring:cog pair with as little chain slack as possible.

I had some interference between the end of the threaded idler axle and the crank arm with my chainring in the outside position. Removal of the idler "hubcap" and a Dremel cut-off wheel solved that.

The mounting bracket is 2.5mm thick, so I simply used a 73mm BB in my 68mm shell and it went right in. But I would have had some problems getting my chainline set up right if my frame was 73mm.

Once I dodged those little speedbumps and got it installed, it works great! Pretty easy setup, no slippage, easily adjustable chainline, and light but not excessive noise.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Bunny5b said:
I know that you are not looking for a chain tensioner that pushes back, but the forte one is probably the cheapest around. I put one on my bike a couple of weeks ago and I probably have 25 miles on it, and it seems okay. Very loud though. There is definately no slack in the chain. Even though it is loud, it does its job beautifully. Of course, it is the complete opposite of what you are looking for.

Are all tensioners loud, or is it just my cheap performance brand one?
The Perfromance kit is relatively noisy. I replaced the pulley and it helped to tone it down a bit. If you want quiet, no tensioner or magic gear is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
The Performance Single Speed kit is a nice cheap way of experimenting with a single speed setup, but as others have mentioned, it's noisy and doesn't feel real smooth. I recently replaced my performance tensioner with this one from Pricepoint

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/17...-Single-Speed-Parts/Sette-Chain-Tensioner.htm

It's an obvious ripoff of the Rennen Rollenlager, but at less than half the price.
I have it set up to push up on the chain, but I needed to file the slot little bigger in order to get to work. Actually, after using a half-link, my chain didn't need much tensioning, and the Sette is actually flawed under these circumstances because it wouldn't push up the little bit I needed, but also the minimum setting pushing down was too much for my setup. So either way, I would have needed to enlarge the slot a little.
Anyway, it's working great so far. I like it a lot better than the Performance spring type (except the spring type was easier to remove and reinstall the rear wheel).

Attachments

·
over researcher
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speedub.Nate said:
I've got a couple of rides on a YESS ETR-B bottom bracket-mounted tensioner.

In theory, excellent!

But it's a little limited in how much chain slack it can take up. I still had to dig for a "magic gear combo" for a ring:cog pair with as little chain slack as possible.

I had some interference between the end of the threaded idler axle and the crank arm with my chainring in the outside position. Removal of the idler "hubcap" and a Dremel cut-off wheel solved that.

The mounting bracket is 2.5mm thick, so I simply used a 73mm BB in my 68mm shell and it went right in. But I would have had some problems getting my chainline set up right if my frame was 73mm.

Once I dodged those little speedbumps and got it installed, it works great! Pretty easy setup, no slippage, easily adjustable chainline, and light but not excessive noise.
Thanks for answering a question I was ready to ask. How thick is the mounting bracket? I currently use a UN-72 68x113 bottom bracket on that frame. I guess a 73x113 would be just perfect and the spindle would still be perfectly centered in the bottom bracket shell. Is the tensioner adjustable side to side?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
royta said:
Thanks for answering a question I was ready to ask. How thick is the mounting bracket? I currently use a UN-72 68x113 bottom bracket on that frame. I guess a 73x113 would be just perfect and the spindle would still be perfectly centered in the bottom bracket shell. Is the tensioner adjustable side to side?
You guessed it... exactly 2.5mm!

I'm using a square taper on this installation, and a non-E-type UN54 worked great.

The jockey wheel spins on an "axle" that slides in and out of the tensioner, and is held in place with a set screw. If you have an ultra-wide chainline, YESS has longer ones available. I asked about this before ordering, and they threw it in the box for me (my chainline is around 57mm).

·
surfer w/out waves
613 Posts
i have it on a UN54 bb and it installed perfectly... The gearing is gonna be very close to a magic gear (36:19) for me. I would rather have as much slack taken out of the chain by removing as many links as possible, rather than a tensioner eating up excessive slack.

Like I said, I should have my 19t cog by the end of the week and I'll post some pics of my finished build.

Speedub: any tips on getting it a little bit quieter??? It's a little loud right now, but i've got some excessive slack that'll be removed by the bigger cog....

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Nope, no tips on quieting it down. I just made sure the tensioner wheel was adjusted dead on, and rolled with it. I notice the noise in the work stand, but not on the trail.

Hey, rather than lead this thread too far astray, I tacked a YESS ETR-B review of my own on to one posted by Monogod last month. Here's the link:

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4602606

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.