Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a shimano altus rear der. and i was wondering if there was a screw or adjustmenti could turn or make to have the chain tighter so it wont move so much off of jumps or curbs. also, is there a product that would help with this? thanks

Eric

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
A little help

ericmccull11 said:
i have a shimano altus rear der. and i was wondering if there was a screw or adjustmenti could turn or make to have the chain tighter so it wont move so much off of jumps or curbs. also, is there a product that would help with this? thanks

Eric
Eric,

First, a little chain slap is perfectly normal. Nothing to get freaked out about. On downhill runs, shift up into the big ring to take up a lot of chain and minimize the slapping. This also makes it much harder for the chain to bounce off of the chanirings.
Minor adjustments in chain tension can be made with the adjustment screw probably at the top of the group of three screws at the back of your rear derailleur. This adjusts how much tension the derailleur places on the chain. Monkeying with that may effect your shifting though.
If the chain is really, really flapping it may mean that your chain is worn out or was not properly sized when installed. There's a generally held normal number of chain links per foot of chain that you can measure with a ruler (can't remember how many) to see if the chain is worn, or you could just take the bike into your local shop and ask to borrow their chain checker. I suggest you let a mechanic check for wear and proper sizing.
I hope this helps. Grant B

·
Don't touch me!
774 Posts
You could always shorten your chain. When I first built up my bike it would slap all over the place and drop off the rings. After shortening it, no more problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your advise. i think i will take it into my LBS becausei get lifetime of free service and if not i will shorten it when i buy a new chain. (i've had this chain on for a year and it came with the bike. shoul di replace it?) also, if i shorten my chain, will it affect my shifting? thanks

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Chain for a year

ericmccull11 said:
thanks for your advise. i think i will take it into my LBS becausei get lifetime of free service and if not i will shorten it when i buy a new chain. (i've had this chain on for a year and it came with the bike. shoul di replace it?) also, if i shorten my chain, will it affect my shifting? thanks
If you have had the chain for a year, it is most likely time to replace it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
measure 12 links..it should be less than 12 1/8"....when a chain is brand new it measures 12" for 12 links...if it stretches more than 12 1/8" you are risking damage to your cassette(s) and chainrings. cheaper to change a chain 2-3 times a year than a whole drive train every year. Also Kore makes a chain tensioner...i use it on my trail bike..takes some dialing in to get it perfect but it does deal with the chain slap you speak of.
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11...53-Chains/Chain-Guides/Kore-Chain-Reactor.htm

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.