Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm on fire.
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding an 04 Dakar XC for the last 2 years, love it. I never really knew what chainsuck was until recently, when it began happening to me. We've gotten a ton of rain lately, and the muddy conditions I'm sure don't help....but I've put over 1000 miles on this bike and never had chain suck happen before. Suddenly it's happened on 2 of my last 6 rides. Only while in the granny gear...switch to the middle ring and all seems fine. I replaced the crank and chainrings this past winter, and all had previously been well with the new setup. What gives? Any suggestions?

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Trigger said:
I've been riding an 04 Dakar XC for the last 2 years, love it. I never really knew what chainsuck was until recently, when it began happening to me. We've gotten a ton of rain lately, and the muddy conditions I'm sure don't help....but I've put over 1000 miles on this bike and never had chain suck happen before. Suddenly it's happened on 2 of my last 6 rides. Only while in the granny gear...switch to the middle ring and all seems fine. I replaced the crank and chainrings this past winter, and all had previously been well with the new setup. What gives? Any suggestions?

I am curious of what you describe as chainsuck. It occurs when you are shifting down, and the chain does not completely release from the larger chainring, and then gets sucked up as you continue to pedal.

So, how can you get chainsuck "while in the granny gear?"

Check that none of the teeth are bent.

·
I'm on fire.
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha, that's pretty funny. That's exactly the lube I use. And I clean my drivetrain and relube religiously. No issues there. And I rotate new chains in regularly.

When I'm in the smallest ring up front, and generally in one of the easiest (largest) gears of the cassette. The chain fails to come off the bottom of the small front ring and gets hung up, essentially locking the crank and killing my valiant climbing attempts.

Didn't see any bent teeth on the small ring, but I'll re-inspect closer tonight. Kinda just wondering if this has happened with other Dakars. Just weird that it just started to happen now, but I guess it could just be the mud and water conditions.

·
Registered
97 Posts
crosspost- chain suck

Hey yall:

I have 2005 Dakota XC with the truvativ stylo cranks. I live in Florida and have only ridden in damp conditions on two occassions. On each occassion I have had trouble with chainsuck. The chain will come off the middle ring towards the outside (towards the big ring) and get sucked between the mid and big ring and then hit the chainstay. Front deraileur is not touching the chain. Anyone else have this problem? It happens when the chain is under load and when it isn't. When dry there is no problem. However, I'm moving to NC and there will be more occasions for riding in wet conditions and with the hills the load on the chain is going to be a lot higher than here in flat old Florida.

Is there a chain line issue w/ Truvativ cranks? could the frame be out of alignment?

any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.
Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.