Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a race this past w/e ( Laramie Enduro!) when I shifted up from the granny to the middle, the bottom part of the chain would get sucked in between the rings & chainstay. Happened twice so I had to get off & pull it out. Then I could tell the dreaded sound & slow my pedalling to prevent the suck. Sometimes it was going to happen shifting from middle to granny too. My chanstay is scratched but not too bad. Is this from a worn chain ring (s)? Chain & casette are new.

THX

·
Registered
44 Posts
jimmy said:
During a race this past w/e ( Laramie Enduro!) when I shifted up from the granny to the middle, the bottom part of the chain would get sucked in between the rings & chainstay. Happened twice so I had to get off & pull it out. Then I could tell the dreaded sound & slow my pedalling to prevent the suck. Sometimes it was going to happen shifting from middle to granny too. My chanstay is scratched but not too bad. Is this from a worn chain ring (s)? Chain & casette are new.

THX
I just had this problem on my bike. I replaced the casette, and lubed the chain and it went away. You might want to check your chain ring for damage/wear, and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
30 Posts
jimmy said:

THX
Chainsuck is often caused by an underlubed chain, especially in muddy conditions. If the race was muddy and especially if you were using dry lube its very possible that much of your lube was destroyed by the mud, causing your chain to suck. Before you spend serious bucks replacing your casette, try some different lubes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts