Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
moe.
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a mechanic but have a good one and have had my front derailleur adjusted. I still run into chain suck a time or two on every ride . It is frustrating. I also have a Sultan '07 model and have never had chain suck. Is this a frame design issue I need to learn to live with or is there a solution? Anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,826 Posts
Chain suck can also be independent of any one component. For example, you're riding over some rough trail and the lower portion of the chain is slapping up and down........then it gets picked up by the large chain ring as it's slapping around....bam the next thing you notice it's sucked into the sometimes vast gap between the chain rings and frame.

It can also be caused by a stiff link in the chain but I've never heard of the Front Derailleur causing chain suck.

Solutions I use: Make sure chain length is correct. When riding rough trail use the large chain ring.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
I'll also add, that this time of year you might be riding in a lot of muck. Once the drivetrain gets caked in mud, or is run dry of lube after multiple water crossings, the chance of chiansuck gets much higher.

·
Registered
267 Posts
When this starts happening to my ride it is usually mud, a sticking chain link or time to change the chain or rings or both.
#1, clean the chain and lube, clean rings and cogs
#2, check each link, any tight ones need to be loosened up.
#3, is the chain stretched? Rings worn? also check that the rings are parallel with each other and one is not bent.
#4, the chain is correct length. chain on big ring and big cog and not bound up or to tight.
I had more problems with LX rings and chain, upgrade to XT resolved a chain breakage problem and less chain suck unless muddy conditions prevail. Good Luck, Chain suck is a real bummer.

·
moe.
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
some more info...

Happy Holidays.

Some more info is I have had the bike for a year and it was built with new 2008 XT. The chain suck problem has been present since the bike was new. My mechanic repositioned the front deraillure one time. I wondered if it had to do with spacing from the bottom bracket?

Ride conditions are muck free in that I ride Souther Cal. desert which only has dust so parts that typically wear out here are brake pads and tires. Perhaps the chain length was too short from the beginning. Maybe a new chain is a way to tease out the problem? The reason it's irritating is that I have the latest technology with the XT drive train and I love how the frame rides yet I have these thoughts of getting rid of the frame because I have never had chain suck on any other bike. I realize another variable is how I shift yet its a non issue for my other ride.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Padrino an within weeks of building her up I also got chain suck. I checked it out, run through the gears, it had no issues and shifted perfectly on the bike stand. Back out on the trail I got the chain suck again.

Most of my chain suck happened while I was exiting corners while under torque in the middle chain ring. Back in the garage I inspected all the teeth and noticed that the chain wasn't seating properly on one tooth of the middle chain ring. The tooth wasn't bent, but it was ever so slightly cupped.

I replaced the middle chain ring with a spare I had laying around and it worked fine for awhile, but it too started getting chain suck. After inspection I found it too had one tooth ever so slightly cupped. I compared the two middle chain rings and the cupped tooth and noticed that the worn tooth was in the same location on both chain rings.

I left the chain sucking middle ring on and went for another ride so I could figure out where my crank arm's position was when the chain suck started. On every occasion the chain suck started while my right crank was in the 4 o'clock position while under torque.

Two days latter I had a brand new middle chainring installed (same manufacture as the previous two chain rings). Within a three weeks I started getting chain suck again. I compared all three chain rings and they all had the same slightly cupped tooth, same location and it always happened under torque in the 4 o'clock position.

So I switched to a stronger middle chain ring that could take the torque and stress I was putting it under. Since then the chain suck stopped completely and I haven't had any issues with it what so ever.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Great feedback and analysis! I am running a crank brother Cobalt SL crank. The chain rings are light weight and probably not the most durable. What chain ring worked for you?

Curious to know what chain rings you were initially running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.