Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a daft question, but I've seen some bikes that have there chain stay protectors warped, in what looks to be a inner tube or black rubber tape.

What is it?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wrap the stay with an inner tube then wrap it again with electrical tape to hold it in place, works great. I don't care about the paint it's the noise I can't stand.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you want to protect your frame from loosing paint on its chainstay due to chainslap, and you ride over bumps, its necessary

Unless you dont care about your paint.

Look on ebay or almost any bike website will sell them, and their cheap - you dont need expensive lizard skin ones, just the back sided adhesive ones work fine as long as you clean the chainstay before you apply it

·
541 Posts
I use one that is very strong adhesive backed elk hide. It works great and looks even better.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Inner tube works great , secure with a zip tie or electical tape . You probably already have an inner tube . Pipe wrap also works well , is self adhesve .

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
A piece of old inner tube, spiral wound with a zip tie at each end is cheap, protects the chain stay and quiets down the chain slap.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
A strip of 8mm foam rubber and some cable ties. An old inner tube does the job just as well, but isn't quite as effective at silencing the slap noise, which I hate.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Go to a shop that does hydraulic hose assy's and get some hose wrap! It's a black heavy duty version of the stuff they sell for wrapping electrical wires @ the autoparts store. You can usually buy it by the foot and it's really cheap!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I did the inner tube wrapped in electrical tape method. I killed a brand new tube when I was pumping incorrectly and broke off the valve. So I just cut it up to size and wrapped in electric tape.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have done road tubes because they are thin, then have also gone the lizard skin route, and gone the let it get beat up route, no right or wrong answer. Lizard skin goes on and off quick if for same strange reason you want to wash it. Inner tube I just end up leaving on but it does get gunked upat some point.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
I use ABC gum :D

really...
CatEye cotton bar-tape.
Excellent stuff - and cheap! :thumbsup:
(kinda blurry pics)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I do a lot of aggressive riding and found that the usual chain stay protectors simply don't work for me. They either tend to move and expose the front part of the chain stay - or simply don't cover the whole chain stay in the first place.

Note: Due to aggressive riding I do get chain slap all the way to the front, very close to the actual chain rings. (Don't tell me my chain is too long. I've checked/corrected that long time ago.)

So I am using the described old inner tube/tape or zip tie method now on all MTBs. And I am wrapping almost the entire chain stay, from bottom bracket to the rear axle.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
lol Highdelll with his large three pics just to say the protector...nice bike btw! lol

I use an old inner tube. I wrap it in a way that I don't need to use any tape or zip ties.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I use road bar tape and it works good. Innertube is my 2nd choice.
I used leather road bar tape on my newest build. Seems more durable.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts