Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How's that chain stay protector workin' for ya?

• Don't have one. Never think about it.

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • Don't have one. Wish I did, since my bike is getting whipped good.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Got plastic stick-on.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Got heavy duty.

Votes: 104 68.9%
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got plastic on there now that came with the bike. About 6,000 miles give or take and no problems.

How about you?

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
I use the ol' inner tube method of chain stay proctection. It's not pretty, but it saves the metal work from a beatin.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Plastic started to peel off. Got a LizardSkin ziptied on there now but marzjennings' inner tube idea would work every bit as well and obviously cheaper too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I also use Ye Ol' innertube. looks good too, if you wrap it right.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I've used various methods, but my MTB always gets its chainstay wrapped up.

·
the giant.
720 Posts
i dont have anything now, but ive used some homemade ones before. i took some paper and lined it with duct tape, then wrapped that around the chainstay (so there wouldnt be glue residue on the frame) and put a small bit of duct taped on the ends to hold it in place. i rode that for about 5 months with no problems at all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use scrap road bar tape. It's nice and cushy, comes in a million different colors, and looks nice. If you by a whole roll, it will last you forever as you can get 5-6 chainstays worth out of it. When asked about it by other riders, claim it is for the weight savings =)

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I recently switched to 3M TemFlex rubber splicing tape, which is a heavy duty, self-fusing electrical tape that "cures" to a very tough state. It doesn't have adhesive so you have to use normal electrical tape or your other hand to hold down the starting end. You stretch to ~3/4 of its normal width as you install it and wrap it like bar tape, overlapping 50%. Give it a couple hours and it fuses into a single solid piece of rubber. The finished protector has to be cut length-wise to remove it from the frame, but since it has no adhesive it isn't messy or frustrating

So far it beats the pants off everything else I've tried. Oh yeah, and it's at Lowes for ~$6 a roll that will do multiple bikes

The same thing is sold under the name "Frame Wrap" and they have good pictorial instructions here

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
dont really need one with a single speed

·
My spelling is atroshus
790 Posts
If you are bombing down a hill and are tired of hearing "chinka chinka chinka..

...plink......click....:eek:

Then put your chain on the big chainring.:D

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
RBowles said:
If you are bombing down a hill and are tired of hearing "chinka chinka chinka..

...plink......click....:eek:

Then put your chain on the big chainring.:D
you mean the calf-eating saw blade? It's been a long time since I've had one of those:D

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Stock protector that came with the bike eventually got shredded to bits and pieces. Never gave a second thought to changing it; never found the reason to, my bike was still perfectly fine. And now I run singlespeed! :D

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Neither plastic tape nor inner tube look neat. I use a thick strap, cut off an old waistbag. Secure it to the chainstay by zip-ties, going through holes in the strap and under (rather than around) the stay. So the zip-ties are virtually invisible, the whole thing looks good, holds in place tight and the stay is protected. On one of my bikes I somehow forgot to put a protector on, the result was metal (not just paint) scratched badly.
By the way, sometimes the chainstay needs to be protected not only from the chain above, but also from the RD underneath. The RD can eat through the metal easily and the cut may go unnoticed until too late (I heard, it happens to Shimano RDs only, never with SRAM, but don't know for sure). Anyway, in this case a tube is not enough, let alone neoprene protectors. When I faced the problem, I had to use a piece of tyre, nothing else lasted.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
xenon said:
Neither plastic tape nor inner tube look neat. I use a thick strap, cut off an old waistbag. Secure it to the chainstay by zip-ties, going through holes in the strap and under (rather than around) the stay. So the zip-ties are virtually invisible, the whole thing looks good, holds in place tight and the stay is protected. On one of my bikes I somehow forgot to put a protector on, the result was metal (not just paint) scratched badly.
By the way, sometimes the chainstay needs to be protected not only from the chain above, but also from the RD underneath. The RD can eat through the metal easily and the cut may go unnoticed until too late (I heard, it happens to Shimano RDs only, never with SRAM, but don't know for sure). Anyway, in this case a tube is not enough, let alone neoprene protectors. When I faced the problem, I had to use a piece of tyre, nothing else lasted.
some of the older, non-Shadow Shimano models had a problem with the body pivoting forwards on bumps. Besides those I've never had a problem with derailleur contact.

I'm curious to see a pic of your setup because a fanny-pack strap and zip ties just doesn't sound too clean, not compared to a nice tape job like this (not mine, but same tape I was recommending)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts