Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so iv been looking for one for my 08 hardrock and see all the major online stores selling the lizard skin guards, however when i look at the reveiws everyone hates them.

So should i get one anyway, or is there a better brand of them and if so where can i get one.

Oh and the closest bike show is an hour up the mountain so checking it out realy isnt an option.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A trick I saw on another thread in this forum is to use this wire wrap stuff from Radio Shack. I put it on my bike and it looks pretty good and looks like it will be pretty durable. I also bought a lizard skin to put over top of it to try to dress it up but none of the sizes seem to fit very good. The jumbo is too small and the super jumbo is too big for my Trek 6000.

Sorry I can't credit the wire wrap idea to someone. I forget which thread it was in.

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont have any pictures but a chainstay guard is there to 1. keep the chain fram beating the paint and just tearing the chain stay, wich is the part on the fram that connects to your rear derailer, all to pieces. 2. it helps to reduce the noise when you hit a jump or anything that makes your chain slap against the chainstay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and explanations. I've heard my chain slap plenty of times, even with my unadventurous crashings through the twigs and brush :)

It seems like this might be a good mod even for my light-duty trail riding.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Used chain stay guards from different vendors. They all were either too short to protect the complete chain stay or moved over time.

Old tube (or similiar concept) is the way to go.

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well after all the suggestions for the old tube trick I hate to say it but I went out and bought a lizard skins chainstay guard. The only problem with the old tube trick for me is that i havnt been in trhis game to have one laying around.

I thought i might put some black electrical tape on the ends to help with the sliding around problem.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
spec4life said:
Well after all the suggestions for the old tube trick I hate to say it but I went out and bought a lizard skins chainstay guard. The only problem with the old tube trick for me is that i havnt been in trhis game to have one laying around.

I thought i might put some black electrical tape on the ends to help with the sliding around problem.
new tube $3 chain guard $6 :skep:

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
dudeimanoldfart said:
With the old tube trick, do you cut it in any way, besides cutting the valve off? Like cut it in half then do it? ha
figure out which end of the chain stay is getting hit, thats where you want to start
cut a tube next to the valve, lay about 2" length wise along the stay, then wrap around the 2" length and stay, overlapping about half, stretch as you go when you get to the other end, cut the tube and apply zip ties or tape

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.