Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I feel a bit embarrassed for posting about this because I'm quite new to mountain biking and may not even have a problem! But if I do i'd really appreciate some help.

I've recently bought a new boardman MTB team but when pedaling, either the chain or cogs at the back of the bike seem to be making a strange sound; I'm not sure how to describe it so I've made a video if anyone would like to hear it. It makes the same sound when pedaling no matter what gear I'm in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feh-jvdKd4s&feature=youtu.be

If it's completely normal and i'm worrying about nothing I apologise for being paranoid! :eek: And if there is a problem i'd love some advice on how to sort it out.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
probably going to explode.

That is what mine sounds like so I assume its normal but maybe I'll learn something in here too.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It doesn't sound too bad. The video makes it look like you are cross-chained. That is, in the smallest ring up front and the smallest cog in the back. This is a gearing combo that should be avoided along with big ring/big cog. Riding cross chained causes excessive wear and noise if done for a long time. But much depends on the set up. Google cross chaining for more info. Good luck.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,224 Posts
not normal, ...that is way too clunky

something is misaligned, or chain too wide for cogs

you say it happens in any gear ? sumtingwong

·
Registered
756 Posts
It is hard to tell from the video, but is there an intermittent clink that is happening?

I only ask this because if there is a bad link you need to find it and you may want to replace the chain.

When I first went to mountain from road, I made some bad shifts when the terrain suddenly changed. Something I had to learn. You know... when you basically force the chain onto the large cog in other than smooth fashion.

Unfortunately those bad shifts eventually resulted in separating one pin on the chain from the chain plate on one side. In my stupidity I merely replaced the pin and link and kept on riding the same chain. Need-less-to-say, the chain had other weak spots and even though I let off the pressure and made a good shifts the chain came apart. I am now the proud owner of a 2-piece XT rear derailleur.

John

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
What sound are you concerned with? The constant clunky noise concerns me more than the intermittent click. Is the chain routed through the derailleur pulleys correctly? It's not riding on anything metal back there and just on the pulleys right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help everyone,

Zebrahum - The sound I'm talking about is the clunking noise not the intermittent clink. As far as I can see it's all correctly routed through how it should be. Is there anything I should look for that may not be immediately noticeable?

Thanks for the advice on the possible link problem 70sSanO, i'll check it over.

I hope it doesn't explode hankscorpio! D:

Definitely happens in any gear too 127.0.0.1

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,224 Posts
I did not hear a jumping link. I heard a constant rumble which should not be there. It sounded like when the guide pully rubs against the 11 cog, but that is not what the video shows. so...then I guess the chain doesn't match the cogset (too wide or too narrow chain)...

Can't see under the derailluer, perhaps the chain is misrouted throo the pully cage

here is my mspaint version, spent a lot of time on this

·
Registered
695 Posts
Did you oil the chain, with some proper chain oil and not GT85 or similar?
My drivetrain gets noisy when dry of oil, even though the chain looks clean and not in need of attention.

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
Can you get a better shot of the chain passing through the derailleur? Couple pics would would be fine if that's easier. And you say this noise is also present when pedaling in the large ring up front?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey again everyone,

Thanks for the paint image 127, it doesn't look like its caught up like that as far as I can tell. The chain has been oiled lotus but i'll bear that in mind for future reference! I'll quickly go and try to get some images of the derailleur.

Slapheadmofo - Yeah I've cycled through the rings and it doesn't seem to affect the sound at all.

I'll be right back! Thanks for the help everyone.

Edit - Got some more video of the derailleur, I couldn't seem to get any good photos with the lighting in my garage at the moment so hopefully the video will do. There's a few sections that can be paused to see the derailleur when it isn't moving. If not then tomorrow i'll get some better photos in the light.

https://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lip4Vwj0UY&feature=youtu.be

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Is it brand new? Have you rode it much yet? It's possible things could just be breaking in.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Take it back to the shop!

Tell them you are worried about the sounds from the transmission.
If they say it is OK, then at least you will have some comeback if further problems occur from using the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oops, maybe I should have made a new post instead of editing my old one, sorry everyone. I've only ridden it about a mile zebrahum, apart from that it's brand new so perhaps it does just need to wear in? I've had it for a few weeks but haven't been able to ride it because my appendix decided it wanted to go just before buying a new bike :(

That's a good idea lotusdriver, I'll take it back in to have it checked if It doesn't settle down, or if we can't find anything up with it on here.

The new video is in my previous edited post if anyone's missed it. (Not sure if it's of any help though)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Oops, maybe I should have made a new post instead of editing my old one, sorry everyone. I've only ridden it about a mile zebrahum, apart from that it's brand new so perhaps it does just need to wear in? I've had it for a few weeks but haven't been able to ride it because my appendix decided it wanted to go just before buying a new bike :(

That's a good idea lotusdriver, I'll take it back in to have it checked if It doesn't settle down, or if we can't find anything up with it on here.

The new video is in my previous edited post if anyone's missed it. (Not sure if it's of any help though)
Take it to your LBS flyple and get it checked. I can't really tell what the problem is from the video but your LBS should be able to help you.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,224 Posts
second video is quiet as a mouse. wtf no idea

G

·
Hi everyone,

I feel a bit embarrassed for posting about this because I'm quite new to mountain biking and may not even have a problem! But if I do i'd really appreciate some help.

I've recently bought a new boardman MTB team but when pedaling, either the chain or cogs at the back of the bike seem to be making a strange sound; I'm not sure how to describe it so I've made a video if anyone would like to hear it. It makes the same sound when pedaling no matter what gear I'm in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feh-jvdKd4s&feature=youtu.be

If it's completely normal and i'm worrying about nothing I apologise for being paranoid! :eek: And if there is a problem i'd love some advice on how to sort it out.

Thanks very much!
I'm going out on a limb, because I can't see the chainline through the derailleur. It sounds like your chain is over the tab between the derailleur pulleys. Look at the chain line and ensure it's only touching the pulleys. If it's routed over the tab you can unscrew the lower pulley and reroute the chain. Good Luck and no asking why I know this can happen.:)

·
Registered
695 Posts
It sounds like that to me as well.

But this has already been explained with pictures and the O/P has said he doesn't think it is.

But an easy way to tell is to look at the mech from the back of the bike. You will see the chain going from the top pulley to the bottom pulley. There should be no metal tab visible in front of the chain. If there is, it's incorrectly assembled!

I still think the bike should go back to the shop for inspection. Even though it is brand new, and might need "breaking in", all my bikes have been pretty much silent when brand new.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Not normal but since it is new, I would run it back up to the shop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi again guys,

127.0.0.1 - It's still making the sound in the second video but I think the camera didn't pick up on it as well, sorry about that.

Just checked again and the chain is definitely underneath the metal tab and isn't rubbing on it, looks like my best bet is taking it back to the shop! I might be able to take it in later this afternoon and see what they say.

Thanks for all the help everyone, i'll keep you posted!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts