Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with the chain slipping from the middle ring to the smallest ring when I'm climbing on my Nomad. Is anyone else experienceing this? I have heard it is linked to the cable routing?

·
~~~~~~
47 Posts
useless answer

starsky said:
I'm having a problem with the chain slipping from the middle ring to the smallest ring when I'm climbing on my Nomad. Is anyone else experienceing this? I have heard it is linked to the cable routing?
.. sounds like they finally came up with automatic transmission style shifting ....

·
Baba Booey!
257 Posts
chain line

I don't have a nomad, so if you're suggesting that this might be a VPP problem, then I don't have any suggestions. HOWEVER, if it is a general question, I would have to say that your chain line is probably set too far out. You could probably adjust this my removing your bottom bracket and shifting one (made two) spacers from the drive side over to the none drive side. This my a have a negative effect on the high gears, however, so you have to try diff. set-ups... Of course, if you don't have an X-type BB then this in useless..

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
starsky said:
sounds like you may need to make a small adjustment on the FD...shift into the granny and check the tension on the cable...if its loose tighten the cable so that when you shift into the middle chain ring, the chain guide does not touch the chain, especially when in the lower gears on the rear (big sprockets)

Secondly, make sure that the chain guide on the FD is aligned...it may have been bumped and have turned a couple of degrees...you may notice a grinding or jamming sound from the chain when shifting into the granny or the #3 chain ring

Also, check your cog set to make sure that the lock nut is not loose....if you get a wobble in the cassette, it'll knock your chain off the middle ring.

Lastly, make sure that your botton bracket/crank is not loose and that the chain ring is not bent or has missing or bent teeth...also, you may be ready for a new chain

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.