Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed that my chain is slipping of the middle ring when I hit the small consecutive drops or a ruff terrain, it fell completely off once or twice during the ride. I have checked both front and rear derailleur and both work fine.
Anybody experienced this problem?
P.S. I am using XTR 952 for a rear derailleur, could this have a effect?
Thanks in advance ….

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
jchembel said:
I?ve noticed that my chain is slipping of the middle ring when I hit the small consecutive drops or a ruff terrain, it fell completely off once or twice during the ride. I have checked both front and rear derailleur and both work fine.
Thanks in advance ?.
that will happen. that is why I run a chain guide.
an e13 chain guide will fix that for a 2 ring set up. or use a hiem roller for a triple ring.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
I have an HH100X with the same derailler. Occasionally, I'll drop the chain on really rough stuff, but i'll just bump it up to the big ring to take up the slack. I don't think there's really anything you can do about it......the chain is gonna bounce around. You can try taking off 2 links from your chain. If you're running SRAM chains, it's no biggy. Just don't cut it too short.

You're running a triple chain ring right? Demo Slug recommened the guide but if you're running triple rings, that won't work. I would try putting the chain in the big ring.....especially if you know that you're gonna be doing a segment of bumpy downhill.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
jchembel said:
I?ve noticed that my chain is slipping of the middle ring when I hit the small consecutive drops or a ruff terrain, it fell completely off once or twice during the ride.
Now that you mention it, I've noticed this too with my RX-100. I'm using a XTR FD with SRAM X.0 RD. Cranks and rings are FSA Carbon Teams. Everything *looks* set-up right (there are any other shifting issues, etc.) but every so often, bam, there goes my chain off my middle ring either into the granny or off completely. Very frustrating because it can completely take away all your mo'.

I try and keep the inner front derailleur plate as close to the chain as possible, without rubbing.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
ddraewwg said:
I have an HH100X with the same derailler. Occasionally, I'll drop the chain on really rough stuff, but i'll just bump it up to the big ring to take up the slack. I don't think there's really anything you can do about it......the chain is gonna bounce around. You can try taking off 2 links from your chain. If you're running SRAM chains, it's no biggy. Just don't cut it too short.

You're running a triple chain ring right? Demo Slug recommened the guide but if you're running triple rings, that won't work. I would try putting the chain in the big ring.....especially if you know that you're gonna be doing a segment of bumpy downhill.
heim makes a triple. as stated.
I know a guy that really likes it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I guess I will have to live with it.
I would not be using the chain guide, because I am kind of a weight weenie.
I will try to keep the chain on the large ring as much as possible.
Thanks for you advise
As always, you have been very helpful

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
jchembel said:
I've noticed that my chain is slipping of the middle ring when I hit the small consecutive drops or a ruff terrain, it fell completely off once or twice during the ride. I have checked both front and rear derailleur and both work fine.
Thanks in advance ….
OK, here's a follow-up....I was having the exact same issue as you (chain would often drop from middle ring to granny (or completely off) when going through technical sections).

Then, 2 weeks ago, I swapped my entire drivetrain (new rings, chain and cassette) -- my chainrings were really worn...in particular, my middle ring. Now, with ~8 rides (~25 hrs) on the new drivetrain, not a single drop. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1speed_Mike said:
OK, here's a follow-up....I was having the exact same issue as you (chain would often drop from middle ring to granny (or completely off) when going through technical sections).

Then, 2 weeks ago, I swapped my entire drivetrain (new rings, chain and cassette) -- my chainrings were really worn...in particular, my middle ring. Now, with ~8 rides (~25 hrs) on the new drivetrain, not a single drop. :D
Well, it solves it for you.
I have a brand new bike, but the chain still drops.
I am keeping it on the large ring, like it was suggested. Sometimes it is not very convenient, but I will have to live with it.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
I had the same problem.
After months of looking at it, i realized the BB in there was a 118mm, even though i bought a 113mm(on the packaging). Upon switching to a 113mm(measured), the problem went away. Even at 113mm, i do see that it really wants to come off in the large cog, middle ring setup. If possible, i'd go with a 110mm bb. Since I ran a XT 751 crank, 113mm was the shortest available.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.