Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for something to reduce the chain slap on my 9 speed xc hardtail bike. And all the tensioners seem to have bad reviews or are discontinued? Do they work?

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Nickc711 said:
Im looking for something to reduce the chain slap on my 9 speed xc hardtail bike. And all the tensioners seem to have bad reviews or are discontinued? Do they work?
YOu need a better rear derailleur to stop it.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Oh the X5 is on your bike currently. X9 is very stiff, and about $100 but shifts way faster and more positively, and holds the chain a lot tighter! Rode one and now need one with the proper sram shifter too, I have Shimano on my bike atm.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
Get a 700c innertube and zip-tie it on the seatstay...after you cut it to fit, of course; anything else would be uncivilized.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
bigpedaler said:
Get a 700c innertube and zip-tie it on the seatstay...after you cut it to fit, of course; anything else would be uncivilized.
I use an old 26" innertube and do the same thing. Cuts noise way down, but my chain still bounces off the sprockets sometimes. Going for this and a new dereailleur after mine wears out.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
I have a buddy, rides an Epic, races it; he set his up so the chain won't even go into big ring/big cog -- it'll go to 2nd. Doesn't talk to me about chainslap, but I bet he doesn't have much! BTW -- he & I both run X.9.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.