Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Klaatu Barata Niktu
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new bike, used, and went on one of my favorite rides. I noticed after riding a little gulch-ish section with a lot of roots, whenever I coast, which i do a lot, my chain gets a large amount of slack. i also noticed that my rear derailleur is reaching very far forward. I then have to pedal very hard to pick up all of the slack. Is there any part I can get to fix this? do i have to get a new drivetrain, or should i take it to my bike store?

·
Registered
121 Posts
First check to see whether your jockey wheels are seized or not, if not then check the freehub for unusual resistance.

It's much easier to spot the problem in person, so if neither of these are the answer, or if the rest of the posters to come fail to hit the nail on the head, go to your LBS and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to figure it out and resolve the issue.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Slack as if it stays that way or slack cause your chain is bouncing up and down from the roots. If its the first then there is a problem and something is getting stuck, if its the second then that is normal.

First one you have to find out what is getting stuck and replace it. For the second one you could help with something like Blackspire stinger or the like if you only want two gears up front.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had this problem with my used GT Avalanche, finally fixed it by pulling off the cassette and cleaned and lubed up the cogs (or whatever they are called, that click when you spin the back wheel) and it has been fine since.

·
the test dummy
3,487 Posts
oooohhh this happened to my ridding buddy, for his he found out that he had a little rock jammed in between the spokes and the cassette. so just take your cassette off and look and see if there is a rock or some thing jamming it. what happened to him is pretty much exactly what happened to you going by what you described. if you need any help on how to do what im saying just ask and i will go in to more detail and maybe make a video explaining. hope this helps

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
AZenduro said:
I had this problem with my used GT Avalanche, finally fixed it by pulling off the cassette and cleaned and lubed up the cogs (or whatever they are called, that click when you spin the back wheel) and it has been fine since.
Yes, most likely the hub needs servicing, in other words internal cleaning and new lube in the area of the pawls that click and ratchet in the freewheel. When the lube becomes gummy from lack of regular service the cassette won't freewheel, and then pull the chain forward while coasting. Don't ask how I know! :madman:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like a sticky cassette body. If it's new it might just need to break in, or try applying some thin lube(like Boeshield) to the seals from the outside before you go and have it overhauled.

Is this a Mavic hub by any chance?

·
B*Man
52 Posts
I had the same problem with my Fisher. It turns out that the plastic guard that prevents the chain from going into the spokes was broken and it was getting stuck in the cassette and not letting it spin. I removed it and now it is fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts