Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a problem with my chain jumping or skipping over teeth. Feels like chain might be on top of a cog. Seems to happen when i have coasted for a bit then apply hard pressure to pedals or in a short hard climb. i have checked tension, chain is not stretched, and cogs seem to be inline. WTF it drives me KNUKIN FUTZ, tried muliple cogs also. bike is single speed specific.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the same symptom, and it took me a couple of rides to track it down.

The internals of your freewheel have a finite number of engagement points. When you go from coasting to applying power, your cog needs to mesh with one of a handful of engagement teeth before it can start moving you forward. Every once in a while it will start to engage the teeth but slip off and grab the next one instead, with a little jolt to the drivetrain. All of this happens out of view inside the freewheel mechanism, so it's hard to figure out at first.

In my case it's due to an inexpensive hub (Dawes Deadeye). It doesn't happen often enough to compel me to upgrade, so it's there every once in a while.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found my problem, I feel stupid, it was as plan as the nose on my face. WOEASSOUT Chain ring. I can always use it fo a Ninja throwing star, its that sharp.

·
Registered
54 Posts
how about the chain falling off?

Is there an explanation for losing the chain: going over a low curb and hitting the power uphill? The chain was a tiny little bit loose (5 mm of sag) but I couldn't pull it off with my fingers after putting it back on.

It freaked me because I've riding with the same idea of tension forever and now I don't know when my next crash will come. I don't know if it was just a freak accident with frame flex or maybe there is another explanation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts