Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a SS with XX1 crank and XX1 32t ring. Will be running a Surly cog for now. Surly recommends an 8/9 speed chain. I guess this will work with my chainring. Not real sure what chain to get. Everyone has a different opinion.

Help?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I like the silver ones....

Seriously though, everyone does have a different opinion - it sounds like you've already determined that, so I'm not sure what you expect from this thread....other than different opinions.

I've had good luck with SRAM, Shimano and KMC chains. Plated links will reduce the rust factor.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was mostly referring to chain size. I have some stamped cogs, which have teeth to thick for a 10 speed chain. This got me wondering, which leads to my real question - what chain size to get that will be a good match for the Surly cog and XX1chainring.
8/9 speed, 10 speed, 3/32", 1/8"?

I have also been looking at the thread on spiderless cranks and do like that setup. I don't know enough about the different cog sizes (thickness) and how to pair up the right cog with the right chainring so that the chain is a good match for both.

·
Gotta pay to play
684 Posts
I was mostly referring to chain size. I have some stamped cogs, which have teeth to thick for a 10 speed chain. This got me wondering, which leads to my real question - what chain size to get that will be a good match for the Surly cog and XX1chainring.
8/9 speed, 10 speed, 3/32", 1/8"?
The correct answer to your question is a 8/9 speed chain.

If you ever put a cassette on the back that is 10 speeds the correct answer will be a 10 speed chain.

They are both 3/32 inch chains. How? Cause the 3/32" refers to the internal width of the chains. So 10 speed chains have thinner metal on the walls of the chain to fit into tighter cassettes. They also tend to be more expensive so... stick with the 8/9 speed.

If you had a 1/8th inch Chain ring and a 1/8th inch cog then the correct answer would be a 1/8th inch chain. But you don't, so a 1/8th inch chain is not the correct answer.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Despite being nominally 3/32", there are wider and narrower chains and not all of them fit on 3/32" cogs or chainrings, unless they are specifically 10-speed compatible. That said, there are differences even between the 10-speed chains.

If you want to use a 8/9-speed chain, it'll be fine.
If you want to use a 10-speed chain, I would advise to take the cog with you to the LBS and see if it fits.

I have a couple of Surly cogs and they seem narrow enough for 10-speed chains, but it's better to try it yourself to be sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts