Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just Dave
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an I9 Torch with boost on my SC Bronson. I have a SRAM X 01 11 speed cassette mounted on the XD driver freehub. Under QR tension I am getting chain rub and binding when I shift to my smallest ring (10 tooth) the chain is adjusted as far as I can adjust it onboard without it climbing to the next ring. It is still rubbing on the dropout/ mech hanger. I have checked and double checked my hanger and it is dead on straight at 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock and between 6 and 12. So it's not a bent hanger. I have removed, cleaned and reseated my cassette 2 times so it seems to be fully seated. I measured the face to face across my axle and it appears to be dead on 148 mm. I am at a loss..... any ideas?
Can you tell me how far the driver side end cap should protrude when measured from the outboard face of the smallest cog?
Is it possible to "center the wheel" between the hub faces?
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,591 Posts
check that the freehub body is fully seated into the hub shell. Since I9 freehub bodies can just pull off, you can just push them back on, too. you can leave the cassette on, and rotate/jiggle it a bit to make sure it settles into place.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
The amopunt of the end cap that goes into the slotted drop outs is 3.5mm each side, measure to see how much is protruding from the end of your cassette. As Harold said, i9 freehubs just basically pop off, so make sure yours is seated properly to the hub, sometimes if you don't give it that last little push to get the seal seated, it will seem fine, but what you describe will happen.

·
Just Dave
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update: I ended up disassembling my hub and found that the outboard bearing on the free hub had come apart. And the endcap had pushed in further into the bearing causing the distance between the hanger and the chain to become less. I ended up ordering a new axle and replacing all four bearings and the two end caps; everything is back to spec and working perfectly. I wouldn’t have guessed it to be a bearing because the wheel spun freely and I didn’t hear any odd noise. I thought I’d follow up so that if anyone else has this problem, they will have a potential fix.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Wow, that's interesting, especially that you didn't/couldn't feel it in the suspension/frame when spinning the wheel. Good of you to come back and update the thread, so that those following knew what happened and in case someone else had the same experience and found the thread.

Just a quick update: I ended up disassembling my hub and found that the outboard bearing on the free hub had come apart. And the endcap had pushed in further into the bearing causing the distance between the hanger and the chain to become less. I ended up ordering a new axle and replacing all four bearings and the two end caps; everything is back to spec and working perfectly. I wouldn't have guessed it to be a bearing because the wheel spun freely and I didn't hear any odd noise. I thought I'd follow up so that if anyone else has this problem, they will have a potential fix.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,591 Posts
Just a quick update: I ended up disassembling my hub and found that the outboard bearing on the free hub had come apart. And the endcap had pushed in further into the bearing causing the distance between the hanger and the chain to become less. I ended up ordering a new axle and replacing all four bearings and the two end caps; everything is back to spec and working perfectly. I wouldn't have guessed it to be a bearing because the wheel spun freely and I didn't hear any odd noise. I thought I'd follow up so that if anyone else has this problem, they will have a potential fix.
Interesting. I would not have expected the symptoms you experienced from that problem.

FWIW, I9 did have a batch of bad bearings in the Torch wheels awhile back. They took care of some people I know who ended up with them. Might be too late for you since you already bought and replaced them, but might be worth knowing for the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.