Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably an easy one but I am such a newb.
My bike is shifting OK but in the middle front chainring my chain rubs on the inside of the front derailleur just enough to make some noise and feel a little rough.
I just put a SRAM PC68 on it. Never noticed it before the chain change. After I realized what it was I redid the front derailleur (cable tension, limit screws, etc.) and it seems fine but for the rubbing in the middle chainring.
I think the PC68 is slightly thicker than the chain that came on the bike. The original says KMC Z NARROW on it.
Figured you guys probably know what I've done wrong here and know a simple fix.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it's a 9 speed, and you have an 8 speed chain, the chain may indeed be too wide, this may also lead to shifting problems in the rear, as the cogs are spaced closer. I believe the front d cage is also narrower(is that a word).

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
8 speed chain isn't a problem in your case, and if it's the 3 or 4 largest cogs I suspect you just may have to go thru the front derailleur alignment again. You might want to check your procedure on the parktool.com site...

ps What front derailleur are you running?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.